RD / Vdi licensing problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

When I log on to one or the other Hyper-V server, I get this message popping up in the task bar : "Remote desktop licensing mode is not configured. RD services will stop in x days....Specify a RD licensing mode and license server...."

If I want to do that, in the RDSH configuration tool, it says that "this computer is configured for Remote Desktop for Administration. To modify licensing settings, you must first install this computer as a RDS Session Host server..."

Now I don't want this computer to be a RDSession Host server! Why should I?

This computer plays a role in VDI being a RDVirtualization Host. That's it. Not more. An other computer plays the RDSH in redirection mode.

So how to get rid of this message please?

Thanks.

Thomas.

Friday, April 8, 2011 2:28 PM

Answers

• Thomas,

In plain VDI scenario (without RemoteFx), licensing happens at Redirector and one no need to specify any license server settings on RDVH machine. In VDI+RemoteFx scenario, licensing happens at both Redirector and RDVH machines (it charges only one license though). So for facilitating licensing at RDVH, you need to specify licensing settings (license mode and license servers) on all RDVH machines too. This can be done using RDS powershell provider. Please see the following blog on how to specify licensing settings for an RDVH server. http://blogs.msdn.com/b/rds/archive/2010/12/15/configuring-remote-desktop-licensing-settings-on-a-remote-desktop-virtualization-host-server.aspx

But, as you specified that you do not need RemoteFx, you can simply uninstall it and get rid of the warning message.

thanks,

-Raghu

thanks, -Raghu
    • Marked as answer by Thomas M.T. _ Wednesday, April 13, 2011 6:50 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Thomas M.T. _ Wednesday, April 13, 2011 6:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by Thomas M.T. _ Wednesday, April 13, 2011 6:52 AM
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 5:16 AM

All replies

• hi, Thomas,

It sounds like you may have inadvertently installed the RD Session Host role service on this server. Can you double-check this from the list of installed roles and role services in Server Manager and tell us what's there?

Thanks,

Christa

Christa Anderson [MSFT] Want the Windows Server 2008 R2 Remote Desktop Services Resource Kit? Click here.
    Friday, April 8, 2011 5:16 PM
  • Hi Thomas,

Whether your problem has been solved. Looking forward to your feedback.

Technology changes life……
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 2:21 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your answer. There is no RDSH installed. The only RD role services installed are :

-Remote Desktop Virtualization Host

-Core Services

-RemoteFX   (that I do not need)

The popup showed a new message today as I logged in saying :

"Use the RDS module for Windows PowerShell to specify a RDS licensing mode and to specify a licence server for the RDVirtualizationHost to use..."

That means, it doeas want a licence server for RDVirtulizationHost....?!

1. I don't know why

2. I don't know how!

Thanks.

Thomas.
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 1:01 PM
  • Thomas,

In plain VDI scenario (without RemoteFx), licensing happens at Redirector and one no need to specify any license server settings on RDVH machine. In VDI+RemoteFx scenario, licensing happens at both Redirector and RDVH machines (it charges only one license though). So for facilitating licensing at RDVH, you need to specify licensing settings (license mode and license servers) on all RDVH machines too. This can be done using RDS powershell provider. Please see the following blog on how to specify licensing settings for an RDVH server. http://blogs.msdn.com/b/rds/archive/2010/12/15/configuring-remote-desktop-licensing-settings-on-a-remote-desktop-virtualization-host-server.aspx

But, as you specified that you do not need RemoteFx, you can simply uninstall it and get rid of the warning message.

thanks,

-Raghu

thanks, -Raghu
    • Marked as answer by Thomas M.T. _ Wednesday, April 13, 2011 6:50 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Thomas M.T. _ Wednesday, April 13, 2011 6:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by Thomas M.T. _ Wednesday, April 13, 2011 6:52 AM
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 5:16 AM
  • Thank you Raghuram.

Would you please provide some more details about "it charges only one license though"...

Thank you.

Thomas.
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 6:54 AM
  • Thomas,

In Windows 7 VDI deployment, Redirector role must be deployed to redirect connections to the appropriate VMs. Redirector is nothing but RDSH running in drain mode. As it is RDSH, licensing checks happen at the redirector before it redirects the connection. What I mean by licensing checks is, the RDSH validates the client's license if it already has one, or else it contacts license server to get a new license. If RemoteFx is installed, licensing checks also happens at the VM. There is a reason for this. Assume that one has plain VDI deployment (without RemoteFx) and one made a direct RDP connection to a VM which is being managed by RDVH. What I mean by direct connection is, user knows the IP of the target VM and entered the IP in mstsc window (instead of redirector name). While making direct connection to the VM, the user is not using any RDVH technologies (like webaccess/connection broker/redirector) and the scenario is same as connecting to a VM running on plain Hyper-V or connecting to a client SKU. So we shouldn't do any licensing checks for this kind of connections. Now assume that user also deployed RemoteFx, which means all those VMs which has RemoteFx 3D Adapter device attached will provide rich remote experiece to RDP clients. In this case, though one connects to a VM directly, one is using RemoteFx rich graphics functionality and so we should charge license. So we do licensing checks at the VM also when RemoteFx is deployed. If both redirector and remotefx are in place, we do licensing checks at the both places. Let us see how it charges only one license though it does licensing checks at two places.

There are two scenarios. 1. Client already has a license 2. Client doesn't have a license

1. Client already has license

In this scenario, redirector validates client's existing license and redirects the connection. VM also validates the client's existing license and allows the connection.

2. Client doesn't have a license

In this scenario, when client connects to redirector, redirector talks to license server and gets a new license to the client. Now client got a license. So when connection is redirected to VM, the VM just validates the license and allows the connection.

Hope this helps.

thanks,

-Raghu

thanks, -Raghu
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 5:47 PM
  • Raghuram,

Thank you for your answer. I appreciate the effort. This IS very helpfull for me and I hope others will read this too.

Thomas.
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 8:16 AM