none
Task 100% Complete but Actual Start / Finish : NA RRS feed

• Question

• MS Project Professional 2016

Hi,

In a project schedule, a task which was planned (Plan Start and Plan Finish date are set), and is now set to complete (Percent Complete = 100%), but the Actual Start and Actual Finish still show NA.

Those two fields are not supposed to be automatically updated when the task is completed?

---

How Calculated    The Actual Start field contains "NA" until you enter actual work information or enter a value greater than zero in the % Complete or % Work Complete field. Depending on your calculation options, Microsoft Project either changes the Actual Start date to the scheduled Start date, or calculates the Actual Start date based on the progress made in relation to the status date. If you enter the Actual Start date, the scheduled start date changes to match the actual start date.

---

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Actual-Start-fields-b1b833a7-07f5-4c4d-858d-f9261d1be7f7

What can explain this behavior? (no auto-update of start/finish date)

Thanks

Gonzague.

Saturday, July 29, 2017 9:02 AM

Answers

• Well, I have never seen that.

Any amount of % complete other than zero will create some actual duration. Clearly, in order to have some actual duration there must first be an actual start.

A task can have an actual start but also be 0% complete, ie it has an actual start but no actual duration

I'll assume (always a mistake) that your task has some % complete but still has NA in the actual start field (see tracking table).

Is the task auto scheduled or manually scheduled?

Saturday, July 29, 2017 9:28 AM

All replies

• Well, I have never seen that.

Any amount of % complete other than zero will create some actual duration. Clearly, in order to have some actual duration there must first be an actual start.

A task can have an actual start but also be 0% complete, ie it has an actual start but no actual duration

I'll assume (always a mistake) that your task has some % complete but still has NA in the actual start field (see tracking table).

Is the task auto scheduled or manually scheduled?

Saturday, July 29, 2017 9:28 AM
  • Try hitting F9 to force calculation.

Is everything else calculating as you edit?

Saturday, July 29, 2017 9:29 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.

I found out what was the problem on those project schedule.

The customer had rename custom fields (start1, finish1) as (Actual Start, Actual Finish), and so those customs fields were obviously not getting updated when the task %complete were updated.

The actual fields "Actual Start" and "Actual Finish" were properly updated.

Issue closed ...

Thanks again.

Sunday, July 30, 2017 1:49 AM