none
dpm 2012 backup RRS feed

• Question

• hi

i'm testing dpm 2012 (1 server with local sql database )

and found out i can't use usb drive as offsite, only tapes\virtual tapes or dpmbackup.exe  with scripts.

i was wondoring is it possible to backup dpm 2012 (running on win 2008 r2) using windows backup to a usb drive ? 

thanks

Friday, November 23, 2012 12:40 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Eran

DPM storage pool does not support Universal Serial Bus (USB)/1394 disks.

In your case, you can expose the diskbased backup (replica) with DPMbackup.exe and backup it up with a third party tool.

1. Run DPMBackup.exe –replica
    2. Use Xcopy to copy the data from the C:\Program files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\ShadowCopy to the USB drive.

See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb795753.aspx for more details.

Stephane

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

My DPM blog Yet Another DPM Blog

• Proposed as answer by Stephane LADUNE Friday, November 23, 2012 3:46 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Eran.s Saturday, November 24, 2012 6:49 PM
    Friday, November 23, 2012 3:46 PM
  • hi

as i wrote, i read about dpmbackup.exe usage with script

but i was asking if i can backup the whole dpm server using windows backup

Saturday, November 24, 2012 1:57 PM
  • Hi,

To backup your DPM server you just need to have DPM database (And your storage Pool):

1- Use DPMBACKUP.EXE -db

or

2- Use Secondary DPM Server

Stephane

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

My DPM blog Yet Another DPM Blog

Monday, November 26, 2012 10:05 AM
  • The answer is - yes. Every Windows 2008 server can be backed up as a "whole server" using windows server backup feature.

My DPM blog ystartsev.wordpress.com

Saturday, March 23, 2013 9:10 PM