none
help need about finish variance and updating percentage task? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have tried to figure out why my project schedule could not show properly finish variance after updating task,

and also after defining status date and entering new % values into related tasks to percentage progress why the percentage value which I entered into related clounm has changed automatically after updating task.

Just like : entering value is %5 but then program changes it according to its own time calculation.

I just only want the value what I have type into column.(%5)   is there anyway to keep the value what I have already entered into column...

I will attach my schedule

I will be appreciate if you give a hand  about this matter.

thanks

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 2:44 PM

Answers

• I don't know how this happened (I cannot reproduce it). Maybe in an earlier stage these were manually scheduled tasks?

You could probably call it a bug, yes.

Greetings,

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 2:25 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Let me copy one part of your question:

"the percentage value which I entered into related clounm has changed automatically after updating task.

After updating task? Did you change values like Actual Duration or ActualWork?

Do note that Project will always calculate %complete as Actual Duration/Duration

If you want to avoid this calculation use %Physical cComplete instead. That is not a calculated field.

Hope this helps,

Greetings,

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 3:23 PM
  • Hi Jan thanks for reply.

regarding with my question

After updating task? Did you change values like Actual Duration or ActualWork?

on ms project 2010,  I have used project calculation to update all the tasks after entering % complete values for each task...

I also wonder that  correct sequence for updating task event.   firstly, after taking baseline  I enter  % complete values for tasks then choose the project calculation to update tasks. or if I have actual task dates I will enter those ????

another question;

could material resources make some changes on project scheduling  as in work resources (people) can make it, when We check in effort driven box or not  at any task type(fixed duration, fixed units, fixed works)

or  could task type effect on the project scheduling when we assign / add material resources on the project

I know that material resources do not have any effect on scheduling but after reading couple of articles about  resources I am not 100 % sure that

I need your comments

thanks

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 12:25 PM
  • Hi,

Your second series of questions is easy: no, material resources do not, absolutely not, influence schedule.

As for the first one, can you expicitate what exactly you did with "project calculation"?

Greetings,

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 4:27 PM
  • Hi

first of all,  if we know actual start and finish days after taking first baseline of the project. 

1-) lets say that  related those tasks completed %100 percent. if we want to update entire project. do we need to choose project calculation from the menu or just simply entering actual start and finish dates? which one is the rigth choice....

2-) lets sat that related task have not %100 finished yet. in this case, could we just enter their  % complete value's first and then choose project calculation from menu (choosing last option to uncompleted task according to the status date). Or just simply entering % complete value's is that enough to update the projet's task dates without using second option of project calculation from the ms project menu????????

3-) after updating entire tasks at ms project 2010. ms project put some unwanted constraints on to some other related tasks and irrelevant start and finish dates to those tasks.?

many thanks

alatristea.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 11:10 PM
  • Hi,

First, it seems to me that whenever you mention Project Calculation you mean Update Project? Calculate Project does not have submenu's. I shall interpret your questions based on the assumption that you mean Update Project not Calculate Project.

1) Entering Actual Start and Actual Finish automatically sets the task to 100% complete and Update Project will no longer influence it. There is no "right choice" it depends on what exactly you want to enter. 100% complete keeps the planned dates as Actual dates; if they are different it is best to enter them.

2) Entering only %Complete without using Update Project leaves the unfinished part of the task where it is planned so most of the time in the past, which lacks credibility!

3) Why are these constraints unwanted? When using the Reschedule work option as you do, ALL unfinished or unstarted work is moved after the status date. The way Project resets startd ates for these unstarted tasks is by using a constraint (theer is no alternative AFAIK). And new dates are not irrelevant, they reflect your desire to show a credible plan, i.e. without any work "scheduled" in the past.

Greetings,

Thursday, August 25, 2011 8:03 AM
  • Thanks for reply

Regarding

this part

"

3) Why are these constraints unwanted? When using the Reschedule work option as you do, ALL unfinished or unstarted work is moved after the status date. The way Project resets startd ates for these unstarted tasks is by using a constraint (theer is no alternative AFAIK). And new dates are not irrelevant, they reflect your desire to show a credible plan, i.e. without any work "scheduled" in the past. "

I want to keep the tasks duration dates same as it were before updating schedule according to my desire. Unfourtunately after updating schedule of that project. some of its tasks's durations are changed which I do not want them to change. How can I keep their durations same as before updating schedule.

Monday, September 26, 2011 2:26 PM
  • Hi,

You keep durations the same by not forcing Project to modify them.

For instance if you enter both Actual Start and Actual Finish Project will inevitably recalculate duration as the difference between those 2. The fact that you want it differently doesn't change Project's behaviour.

Can you tell me exactly whichdata you want to enter  that make durations change?

Some more btw

-Constraints do nor change duration

You keep the original duration as baseline duration anyhow

Greetings,

Monday, September 26, 2011 5:11 PM
  • hi

I will send my last project to your website e-mail address at jandemes@prom-ade.be. so you will be able determine which goes wrong.

as you will notice that at the table entry number 694  duration date = 1 day (it is not possible according to difference between finish date and start date.

And also table entry 652 has same duration calculation problem. I do not know that what is wrong.

THANKS

Monday, September 26, 2011 8:16 PM
  • Hi,

Well, nothing is wrong, but Project's definition of "duration" is a bit, let's say, "not intuitive"

Duration is the time during which any work has been performed on the task, expressed as per the applicable calendar.

In your case, the tasks you mention are executed in small slices - a couple of hours in July, some work in August, and there's a few hours of remaining work.

In total, according to the definition I gave, this amounts to a "duration" of 1 day.

If you want to see the intuitive definition of duration calculated, create a custom duration field (f.i. duration1) with the formula

projdatediff([Start],[Finish],"MOI PROJE TAKVIMI")

That field will show the difference in days between start and finish - using your task calendar.

Greetings,

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 8:24 AM
  • hi

thanks for reply

at my moi project table entry 1023; how can task's duration equal to =0  that means there has not been work performed during this task

on the orher hand, duration 1 fields shows 2 days duration.

sorry but I got confused. it seems to me that is not logical

furthermore, on the duration column, is there anyway to keep the day numbers as integer not like 0,4 days on my project? just want to see as exact days.

Görev Adı Duration Duration1 Start Finish Baseline Start Baseline Finish Finish Variance % Complete Actual Start Actual Finish Predecessors Successors
    F.4.55.40.GRO TEMEL ALTI GROBETON ATILMASI VE PERDAH ÇEKİLMESİ 0 days 2 days 29.07.11 30.07.11 01.07.11 01.07.11 25 days 100% 29.07.11 30.07.11 38;986 1024
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 11:39 AM
  • Hi,

This indeed is an anomaly (also for tasks 1024 and 1025). Set thes etasks back to 0% finished, then to 100% finished, and they calculate OK.

Greetings,

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 1:28 PM
  • thanks very much

if you do not mind

one more question (hopefully last question:-)

, on the duration column, is there anyway to keep the day numbers as integer not like 0,4 days on my project? just want to see as exact days.

regards

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 1:42 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry forgot to answer that one. The answer is No, Sorry.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 2:37 PM
  • Hi,

(I  set those tasks (1023,1024,1025)  back to 0% finished, then to 100% finished, but duration has not changed still=0 (abnormal)

what else I could do?

thanks

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 7:14 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, duration remains zero but dates are now OK, aren't they?

Have you tried simply changing duration directly?

Greetings,

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 9:57 AM
  • I am curious about that those zeros should have changed after making this percent settings on the percentage column. So could we say those wrong calculations are the bugs of ms project?

thanks

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 11:11 AM
  • I don't know how this happened (I cannot reproduce it). Maybe in an earlier stage these were manually scheduled tasks?

You could probably call it a bug, yes.

Greetings,

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 2:25 PM