Domain User "my documents" and "Desktop" contents missing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

i have come across a problem that i need some help badly!!!

we had to remove a windows xp client computer from a windows 2003 domain and then rejoin the same machine to the domain. this pc is used by one of our colleages which had his domain profile stored. After we rejoined the pc to the domain, all the contents of My Documents folder and Desktop were missing...; It looks like it created a new profile for this user that already had the same profile stored in this computer!!!

Help anyone

Monday, November 15, 2010 3:54 PM

Answers

• Hi, sounds like you are using a GPO for redirected my documents and desktops. 

You will need to find out where his documents are pointing now.  More than likely with the creation of a new profile the my documents redirect server also created a new folder for that user profile. 

The easy way to fix this is to find his old folder on the my documents redirect folder (you will have to take control of the whole user folder), and rename it.  Once this is done, run a gpupdate on the machine, and reboot it.  This will shift all of the new user profile my documents and desktop to the redirect server.  Once that is done you can take control of the new folder (not the renamed one) and copy everything from the renamed folder to the new folder. 

The GPO is set to create the folder when they login.  If their is a new profile of the same name on the same machine then it will create it locally.  If the GPO is removed from the profile then it will move everything BACK to the local machine.  This was not performed, and now you have a folder out there on the redirect server with all of his information in it.

After you have finished moving all of the infromation, delete the old, renamed, folder, change the permissions to full control for the user, and propagate.  Also, change the owner back to them.

Hope this helps.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Mphandi Wednesday, November 17, 2010 8:00 AM
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 9:40 PM

All replies

• u use roaming profiles right? when the user logs on to other pcs, does he have those folder contents available?

Tunde Abagun MCP,MCSA,MCTS,MCITP en p "for the love of Computers"
    Monday, November 15, 2010 7:56 PM
  • I don´t use roaming profiles. It is really strange!!! This is a normal domain user account without any domain profile configurations.
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 12:50 PM
  • Hi, sounds like you are using a GPO for redirected my documents and desktops. 

You will need to find out where his documents are pointing now.  More than likely with the creation of a new profile the my documents redirect server also created a new folder for that user profile. 

The easy way to fix this is to find his old folder on the my documents redirect folder (you will have to take control of the whole user folder), and rename it.  Once this is done, run a gpupdate on the machine, and reboot it.  This will shift all of the new user profile my documents and desktop to the redirect server.  Once that is done you can take control of the new folder (not the renamed one) and copy everything from the renamed folder to the new folder. 

The GPO is set to create the folder when they login.  If their is a new profile of the same name on the same machine then it will create it locally.  If the GPO is removed from the profile then it will move everything BACK to the local machine.  This was not performed, and now you have a folder out there on the redirect server with all of his information in it.

After you have finished moving all of the infromation, delete the old, renamed, folder, change the permissions to full control for the user, and propagate.  Also, change the owner back to them.

Hope this helps.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Mphandi Wednesday, November 17, 2010 8:00 AM
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 9:40 PM