none
DISM Crashing when updating Deployment Share MDT 2013 Update Preview 1 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I'm trying to do a build and capture of Windows 10 using MDT 2013 Update Preview 1. This worked fine on my workstation but since moving to a dedicated 2012 R2 server I am having problems trying to update the Deployment Share and generate my boot images.

The error output looks like this:

Copy: D:\Program Files\Microsoft Deployment Toolkit\Samples\Background.bmp to C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\MDTUpdate.3448\Mount\Windows\system32\winpe.bmp

ERROR: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. 
    Exit code = 1
    REG LOAD failed, rc = 1.
    System.Management.Automation.CmdletInvocationException: Unable to open the specified WIM file. ---> System.Exception: Unable to open the specified WIM file. ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The operation completed successfully
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at Microsoft.BDD.Core.BDDWimFile..ctor(String wimPath, Boolean forUpdate)
       at Microsoft.BDD.PSSnapIn.UpdateDeploymentPoint.UpdateBootImage(String template, String platform, String dpPath, Boolean createISO, String isoName)
       at Microsoft.BDD.PSSnapIn.UpdateDeploymentPoint.ProcessRecord()
       at System.Management.Automation.CommandProcessor.ProcessRecord()
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at System.Management.Automation.Runspaces.PipelineBase.Invoke(IEnumerable input)
       at Microsoft.BDD.Wizards.UpdateProgress.WizardProcessing()
       at Microsoft.BDD.Wizards.WizardProgress.InitiateWizardProcessing()

Am I correct in saying its failing because the background.bmp file is in use by something else or barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks in advance,

Jonathan

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 3:36 PM

Answers

• I came across some other information regarding this error as well. Turns out there is a bug in MDT 2013 Update 1 which is a doozy!

If the deployment share is hosted on fast storage, SSD etc then it runs too fast and crashes and kills DISM periodically. It seems to work better if you remove any customisation i.e. MDAC from the boot images or you can move the share to a slower storage location.

I was only able to get mine to work once I moved the deployment share to a location on an old physical server with slow storage. Now I can update my boot images every time.

Here is a post with the known bugs. Hopefully to be fixed soon!

http://blogs.technet.com/b/msdeployment/archive/2015/08/25/mdt-2013-update-1-release-notes-and-known-issues.aspx

• Marked as answer by JG79 Wednesday, September 2, 2015 9:32 AM
    Wednesday, September 2, 2015 9:31 AM

All replies

• My guess is that the WIM is currently mounted elsewhere (perhaps you were experimenting manually, or perhaps it tripped over itself earlier and didnt clean itself up).

Run the command dism /Get-MountedWimInfo and see if there's something mounted.

If so then run dism /unmount-wim /mountdir:{path shown by the above command} /discard

Andrew

• Proposed as answer by Garrick King Thursday, August 20, 2015 10:29 PM
    Wednesday, August 12, 2015 4:06 PM
  • Thanks, this helped me out.
    Thursday, August 20, 2015 10:30 PM
  • Hi Garrick,

Did you have the same problem?  I have built a new deployment server on Server 2008 R2 and it only has the Windows 10 ADK and MDT 2013 Update 1 on it and I have this same error about the background.bmp.

It looks like the process of updating the deployment share is creating these locked files in the temp directory.

Did you manage to solve this?

Monday, August 24, 2015 3:34 PM
  • Hi Jonathan,

Did you solve this?  I have the exact same issue.  

TIA

Claire

Monday, August 24, 2015 3:37 PM
  • Did you notice when DISM actually crashes? For me, it crashed on adding winpe-mdac, and I had the same output as above. So I unchecked MDAC from Deployment share properties, and it works now.
    • Proposed as answer by OooGeeE Monday, September 14, 2015 2:53 AM
    Tuesday, August 25, 2015 2:34 PM
  • Genius, and only had to disable the x86 one finally after Hours of wondering why this one page answered 2 questions.

Why i cannot Mount the Wim cause its already mounted after an aborted update due to DISM crash.

And why DISM was crashing.

Thank you guys.

Wednesday, September 2, 2015 4:19 AM
  • I came across some other information regarding this error as well. Turns out there is a bug in MDT 2013 Update 1 which is a doozy!

If the deployment share is hosted on fast storage, SSD etc then it runs too fast and crashes and kills DISM periodically. It seems to work better if you remove any customisation i.e. MDAC from the boot images or you can move the share to a slower storage location.

I was only able to get mine to work once I moved the deployment share to a location on an old physical server with slow storage. Now I can update my boot images every time.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/msdeployment/archive/2015/08/25/mdt-2013-update-1-release-notes-and-known-issues.aspx

• Marked as answer by JG79 Wednesday, September 2, 2015 9:32 AM
    Wednesday, September 2, 2015 9:31 AM
  • Worked like a charm after many hours!!!

Monday, September 14, 2015 2:54 AM
  • Thank you very much! Removing MDAC fixed our problem
    Wednesday, November 4, 2015 3:06 PM
  • Thanks! Removing MDAC worked for me too!
    Thursday, November 19, 2015 10:26 PM

Not a bug in MDT.  A bug in the servicing stack for ADK.

Logs are very important. https://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/video-mdt-2013-log-files-basics-bdd-log-and-smsts-log/ Mention any customizations you have made.

Thursday, November 19, 2015 11:01 PM