Sound stopped working, "class not registered", cannot system restore RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello. Two days ago, the sound from my laptop stopped working. I also noticed that at the same time, the internet icon in the notification area says I'm not connected. More specifically, it says "Connection status: unknown" and "Class not registered". Although it says this, I'm still able to connect to the internet. I'm also not able to do a system restore, because when I try it, it says "System Restore does not appear to be functioning correctly on this system" (0x81000202).

I've tried uninstalling all the sound drivers and restarting, but it didn't help.

I've tried "error-checking" on my local disk, but it didn't work.

This problem occurred around the same time that I was uninstalling things and my computer froze up. I think I uninstalled something I shouldn't have, or I closed something while the computer was frozen (something explorer something).

Windows Vista Home Premium

Service Pack 2

32-bit

Edit: It seems that "class not registered" is a bigger problem than I thought. I tried making a folder public for other laptops to try to access my files, but I got a pop-up that says "class not registered".

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 12:15 AM

Answers

All replies