Windows 7 KEY Shortcuts RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    Is there any way I would setup a couple of buttons shortcut keys for different applications as task manager,sleep button or whatever?
    The default application (Launch Manager) is not installed and I am not going to install it(was installed in the past and every startup gave me an error as a .dll is missing please reinstall the application)  
    • Moved by Ronnie VernonMVP Sunday, October 11, 2009 7:49 AM Focus (From:Windows 7 Installation, Setup, and Deployment)
    Friday, October 9, 2009 6:00 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You may try to install the Launch Manager with Compatibility Mode and see how it works. If it still failed, you may need to wait for the version which is for Windows 7 or you can contact the company for help.

To launch an application, I just know we can use “Ctrl + Alt + # (Number)” after you setting it up in its Shortcut’s Properties.

In addition, I would like to share the following with you:

Keyboard shortcuts

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 10:38 AM
  • Hi,

To make the startup clean, I would like to share the following methods with you for your reference:

1.    Use Msconfig

=================

1)     Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Search box, and then press Enter.

Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.

2)     Click the "Startup" tab, uncheck the Startup Items which you don’t want to run when the computer starts and click OK.

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK. At this time, the items you have unchecked will not run automatically.

NOTE: If you want a startup item back, please run msconfig again and checking the item you want to run when the computers starts.

2.    You can also try this tool:

Autoruns for Windows v9.56

3.    For the question about where the items are located in Registry, please refer to:

INFO: Run, RunOnce, RunServices, RunServicesOnce and Startup

Hope this helps.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Friday, October 16, 2009 2:59 AM

All replies

• Go to Start/Help and Support.

Type "shortcut" in the search box.

Click "General Shortcuts" and "Windows Key Shortcuts" and it will show you all the shortcuts.

Carey Frisch
    Monday, October 12, 2009 3:53 AM

Click "General Shortcuts" and "Windows Key Shortcuts" and it will show you all the shortcuts.

Carey Frisch

The keys want to personalise them not related to the keyboard and came with the use of manufacturer's software which is not in use anymore.
    First of all I need to know how I can get Windows 7 discover the buttons then probably I can use the general shortcuts to change the attributions or add an atribution.
    Monday, October 12, 2009 4:06 PM

• This thread reminds me of something:   http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Keyboard-shortcuts

You can drag the icon from the Navigation bar onto your desktop for convenient reference later when you need it.

Hi,
    All of them presets, what I want to do is to add a couple of keys (buttons) used for manufacturer's software.
    Ex. Task Manager and Mobility Center. 
    Monday, October 12, 2009 4:22 PM

Carey Frisch

Hi,
    In dialog properties of a the shortcut created on desktop first renaming or modifying is not permited. Ex. Task Manager.
    Monday, October 12, 2009 4:24 PM
  • I suppose you want to make up your own shortcuts to Task Manager, Mobility Center, etc.? Dont know how that's done (not sure if the capability is even in the OS by default) but curious to see....

Existing shortcuts by default: (copied from http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/thread/702d4ffc-cd4a-4fb2-96d3-6d2f75ea95cb#keyshortcuts)

Ctrl+Alt+Del or Ctrl+Shift+Esc = Task manager

Win +X - Mobility Center

Hello! Please reply back, promptly if possible with the results to solutions to your problem!
    - JoelbX
    JoelbX's favorite threads | Skydrive | Cool 'gadget' programs: Download or Visit websites
    Stuff for win7 launch party hosts
    Monday, October 12, 2009 5:59 PM
  • I suppose you want to make up your own shortcuts to Task Manager, Mobility Center, etc.? Dont know how that's done (not sure if the capability is even in the OS by default) but curious to see....

Existing shortcuts by default: (copied from http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/thread/702d4ffc-cd4a-4fb2-96d3-6d2f75ea95cb#keyshortcuts)

Ctrl+Alt+Del or Ctrl+Shift+Esc = Task manager

Win +X - Mobility Center

Hello! Please reply back, promptly if possible with the results to solutions to your problem!
    - JoelbX
    JoelbX's favorite threads | Skydrive | Cool 'gadget' programs: Download or Visit websites

Hi JoelbX,
    I've got 2 spare buttons on my notebook and want to make them useful. The defaults are known even if I don't use them, I guess are meant for typers , as personally for instant for all media use remote control,i.e. and email the defaults buttons and so on...2 more spare buttons instead splashing the screen with Ctrl+Alt+Del a simply button pressed.
    Monday, October 12, 2009 7:15 PM
  • Ah, that is what you are talking about...
    I believe that requires a special driver from your notebook manufacturer and it will have its own interface for configuring the buttons.

- JoelbX
    Monday, October 12, 2009 7:19 PM
  • Ah, that is what you are talking about...
    I believe that requires a special driver from your notebook manufacturer and it will have its own interface for configuring the buttons.

- JoelbX

That driver is not compatible Windows 7 even run in Vista comp mode gives me a sort of error being a startup program related to TvOut.dll or something like so and gave up to it.
    Monday, October 12, 2009 7:26 PM
  • hmm... probably will have to wait for a win7 compatible driver to be released if the Vista one doesnt work...you did make sure you have the correct driver for your laptop right?

- JoelbX
    Monday, October 12, 2009 8:58 PM
  • hmm... probably will have to wait for a win7 compatible driver to be released if the Vista one doesnt work...you did make sure you have the correct driver for your laptop right?

- JoelbX

:)I think the manufacturer has to release a set of drivers compatible windows 7, as the message error is related to TVOut or if I try a different version turns up a message error about vga.dll (is trying to control the brightness and contrast probably confilicts with win 7 driver related to adaptive brightness).
    I tried to add the sortcut in properties but doesn't add it and is not functional without Ctrl+Alt+ one of those spare buttons, then becomes functional and no splash screen but anyway I'm trying to fix it one single button no combinations. 
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 10:37 AM
  • Hi,

You may try to install the Launch Manager with Compatibility Mode and see how it works. If it still failed, you may need to wait for the version which is for Windows 7 or you can contact the company for help.

To launch an application, I just know we can use “Ctrl + Alt + # (Number)” after you setting it up in its Shortcut’s Properties.

Keyboard shortcuts

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 10:38 AM
  • Hi,
    Thanks all for sugestions, easily to figure out if I'm not "scripting" by my own cannot add a 2 extra buttons to the keyboard shortcuts (which are not part of the keyboard-that's another problem)another way would be modifying the registry obviously the advice and "the shore way" should come from someone who tweaked the comp registry for his/her own
    The software (launch manager for win 7) is on but I hate too much stuff loading during startup.
    Regards. 
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 4:52 PM
  • Hi,

Keyboard shortcuts

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT

Hi Nicholas,
    As I mentioned already tried the old version of Launch Manager in compatibility mode use to give some error messages about TvOut.dll and another .dll asking permanently for software reinstalation::)),already the version of Launch Manager for Windows 7 is released but the answer is bellow.
    Thanks for your help anyway.
    P.S.: If any of you knows a way to change the registry keys and values would be appreciated.I'm just trying to keep a startup clean as clean can be. 
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 8:12 PM
  • Hi,

To make the startup clean, I would like to share the following methods with you for your reference:

1.    Use Msconfig

=================

1)     Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Search box, and then press Enter.

Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.

2)     Click the "Startup" tab, uncheck the Startup Items which you don’t want to run when the computer starts and click OK.

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK. At this time, the items you have unchecked will not run automatically.

NOTE: If you want a startup item back, please run msconfig again and checking the item you want to run when the computers starts.

2.    You can also try this tool:

Autoruns for Windows v9.56

3.    For the question about where the items are located in Registry, please refer to:

INFO: Run, RunOnce, RunServices, RunServicesOnce and Startup

Hope this helps.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Friday, October 16, 2009 2:59 AM
  • Hi Nicholas Li, I know about the items you list here.  What I need is to find the folder that holds the start up items from an individual user.  In XP it is found in
    C:\Documents and Settings\%User Name%\Start Menu\Programs\Start

I have been able to customize things for users by removing programs from this folder or by adding things in there.  If I am going to be able to use Windows 7 for certain functions then I need to know where to make these changes.

So that you understand, with XP I have been able to set up an image for use by inmates in institutions such that they can only go to a state job web site so that they can learn how to look for work when they are released.  IE 7 is in kiosk mode, policies lock down most of the rest of it, registry edits log on the user (Job Seeker) automatically, an autoexec.bat file in this user's start folder starts IE in kiosk mode and opens the web site.  If the user hits Ctrl-Alt-Del it brings up the log of menu that contains only Log Off, Shut Down and Cancel. If they chose to log off it brings up a normal network log on screen with the Job Seeker name in it.  Of course the password is in the registry and I am probably the only person who knows it. I can then log on as the local administrator and change settings as needed.  I only have a few items in Control Panel and even my Start menu only has a few items in it.  To finish off the system I make a few cuts in leads in the keyboard, that's the only way that you can disable Alt-F4. 

Since Microsoft has forgotten that they actually still have a huge base of business customers and have locked Vista and Windows 7 down for home users who are too stupid to be careful with where they go (yes I just cleaned a laptop that was full of virus's and Trojans last night) they have effectively locked the system administrators out of being able to do creative things like our set up that helps people clean up their lives.  I have used Vista since it came out two years ago and I am on TechNet and I really like Windows 7, BUT neither are business operating systems.  You publish ones called Business or Professional but they are neither.  They are home user editions, your last business operating system was XP.  I have been screaming about this for two years now but the King still doesn't realize that he has no clothes on.  I have been working on PC's since 1985, I once was an MCSE until Microsoft decided that they no longer needed people like us.  If you have any way to get my complaint to ANYBODY there that even cares about business users please pass my comments on to them.  If Microsoft doesn't wake up and produce a version of Windows 7 for business users, just update XP Pro with a Windows 7 look and feel and give us back our control and the ability to do the things that are necessary in a business environment, you will find people like me still working with XP Pro in 2020. 

I operate behind a great firewall and we use Symantec EndPoint Security so we really don't need all of the paranoid things they you have done to save home users from themselves.
    Ted McCarty, ted.mccarty@oa.mo.gov 
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 3:49 AM
  • Hi Nicholas Li, I know about the items you list here.  What I need is to find the folder that holds the start up items from an individual user.  In XP it is found in
    C:\Documents and Settings\%User Name%\Start Menu\Programs\Start

I have been able to customize things for users by removing programs from this folder or by adding things in there.  If I am going to be able to use Windows 7 for certain functions then I need to know where to make these changes.

So that you understand, with XP I have been able to set up an image for use by inmates in institutions such that they can only go to a state job web site so that they can learn how to look for work when they are released.  IE 7 is in kiosk mode, policies lock down most of the rest of it, registry edits log on the user (Job Seeker) automatically, an autoexec.bat file in this user's start folder starts IE in kiosk mode and opens the web site.  If the user hits Ctrl-Alt-Del it brings up the log of menu that contains only Log Off, Shut Down and Cancel. If they chose to log off it brings up a normal network log on screen with the Job Seeker name in it.  Of course the password is in the registry and I am probably the only person who knows it. I can then log on as the local administrator and change settings as needed.  I only have a few items in Control Panel and even my Start menu only has a few items in it.  To finish off the system I make a few cuts in leads in the keyboard, that's the only way that you can disable Alt-F4. 

Since Microsoft has forgotten that they actually still have a huge base of business customers and have locked Vista and Windows 7 down for home users who are too stupid to be careful with where they go (yes I just cleaned a laptop that was full of virus's and Trojans last night) they have effectively locked the system administrators out of being able to do creative things like our set up that helps people clean up their lives.  I have used Vista since it came out two years ago and I am on TechNet and I really like Windows 7, BUT neither are business operating systems.  You publish ones called Business or Professional but they are neither.  They are home user editions, your last business operating system was XP.  I have been screaming about this for two years now but the King still doesn't realize that he has no clothes on.  I have been working on PC's since 1985, I once was an MCSE until Microsoft decided that they no longer needed people like us.  If you have any way to get my complaint to ANYBODY there that even cares about business users please pass my comments on to them.  If Microsoft doesn't wake up and produce a version of Windows 7 for business users, just update XP Pro with a Windows 7 look and feel and give us back our control and the ability to do the things that are necessary in a business environment, you will find people like me still working with XP Pro in 2020. 

I operate behind a great firewall and we use Symantec EndPoint Security so we really don't need all of the paranoid things they you have done to save home users from themselves.
    Ted McCarty, ted.mccarty@oa.mo.gov 

...Speaking about paranoids...I guess the comp manufacturers have to take actions against "incidents" caused by end-users considering that a brand new comp just bought for a few bks cheaper installing other software can get the comp would match their wants not paid for.So most of come with an AV preinstalled (at least for the warranty period).Windows Defender seems ok.

The startup folder/items... task bar menu->programs->click right on the folder called "startup"->Properties and see where it comes from ...the same as in Windows XP...but not the location.

Regards

Saturday, October 17, 2009 8:13 AM
  • By default the Startup folder for an individual user account can be found at:

\Users\useraccountname\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 8:34 AM
  • Thank you work grat and easy
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 5:03 PM