locked
SCCM 2016 Windows Updates - License Terms could not be downloaded RRS feed

  • Question

  • If this question is already out there i apologize, i did search but couldn't find the answer. Each month the "Windows malicious software tool" update seems to work on some but fail on others with the error "License terms could not be downloaded" based on research this is caused by the "Network Service" not having full rights on the wsus contents share. I have validated it does have the permissions and has been replicated downstream. I have also run the "wsusutil reset" with no positive results. I cannot find the error itself in the wsync log or in the windows event logs yet it claims in SCCM that it has failed to install with that error. 

    I'm not sure where to look next or what to do, any help would be appreciated.  

    Thank you!

    Brice

    Thursday, November 29, 2018 4:37 PM

All replies

  • Have you tried to manually download the licnese terms directly in WSUS?

    On a semantic side-note, there is no such thing as ConfigMgr/SCCM 2016. It's simply ConfigMgr/SCCM or ConfigMgr/SCCM Current Branch and the latest version is now 1810.


    Jason | https://home.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys


    Thursday, November 29, 2018 8:58 PM
  • Hello Brice,
     
    Check if following official troubleshooting methods could help you.
     

     
    And also check the windowsupdate.log on the client side to find out the Specific error messages for further troubleshooting.
     
    Best Regards,
    Ray

    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

    Friday, November 30, 2018 3:21 AM
  • Jason - I honestly dont know how to download the terms directly in wsus. I'll keep researching that. Thanks for correcting me on the sccm version. I've always just called it 2016 but i hear what you're saying.

    Ray - The firewall and proxy are all set up correctly as far as i can tell, everything else appears to be running fine. I did run the wsusutil /reset.

    What i did find out is the software update group puts the updates in a different folder than the normal wsuscontent so i gave the network service full rights to the secondary folder and gave it full rights. I reran the wsusutil reset. When i deployed the updates to a new group the issue still persisted. Unless you guys have any new ideas i'm hoping that maybe the december download of updates will work. I'll also be able to find the correct log as they have all turned over by now so i'll follow up in a week or two once we start downloading updates for the new month. 

    Wednesday, December 5, 2018 2:41 PM
  • Just go into the WSUS console, find the update, right-click it and select download EULA -- I don't remember the option exactly and also from memory, it should have a "funky" icon indicating that the EULA failed to download.

    What i did find out is the software update group puts the updates in a different folder than the normal wsuscontent

    Correct because ConfigMgr only uses WSUS for the catalog; Config downloads and distributes the updates is a completely different manner than WSUS does. However, this does not include EULAs; EULAs are still downloaded to the WSUS content folder so changing permissions anywhere is basically a no-op.


    Jason | https://home.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys


    Thursday, December 6, 2018 8:33 PM