none
Event 917 Console Crash when attempting to modify Disk Only Protection Group RRS feed

• Question

• Primary DPM 2012 R2 4.2.1254.0 running on Server 2012 -

In the process of decommissioning a number of old servers - I found that I am no longer able to modify a disk only protection group on one of my primary DPM servers. Console crash - noting error 917. I've seen a number of work around in relation to protection groups with long term storage, but none noting disk only. Notably, kb 2905631 - long term only protection may cause this issue.

Another thread mentioned that re-syncing / consistency checks on the entire server resolved the issue for them, but I find that rather unnecessary. I've over 13Tb of data on this server, and am trying to remove the last 30GB of an old protection group.

Recap-

Error 917 when removing member from protection group

MMC crash with a 999 marked when modifying the protection group

The event log is not noting any service crashes, or the 917 error in the event log. 999 is getting recorded in the event log.

The description for Event ID 999 from source MSDPM cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event: 

An unexpected error caused a failure for process 'mmc'.  Restart the DPM process 'mmc'.

Problem Details:
    <FatalServiceError><__System><ID>19</ID><Seq>0</Seq><TimeCreated>12/2/2014 5:40:14 PM</TimeCreated><Source>DpmThreadPool.cs</Source><Line>163</Line><HasError>True</HasError></__System><ExceptionType>SqlNullValueException</ExceptionType><ExceptionMessage>Data is Null. This method or property cannot be called on Null values.</ExceptionMessage><ExceptionDetails>System.Data.SqlTypes.SqlNullValueException: Data is Null. This method or property cannot be called on Null values.
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlBuffer.get_String()
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.ObjectModel.OMCommon.ProtectionGroup.ReadBackupAndCCWindow()
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.ObjectModel.OMCommon.ProtectionGroup.get_BackupWindow()
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.ObjectModel.OMCommon.ProtectionGroup.GetPerformanceString()
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.ProtectedGroupUIElement.AddPerformanceData()
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.ProtectedGroupUIElement.ConstructDetailsPaneContent()
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.CommonControls.UISearchableElement.get_DetailNameValuePairs()
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.ProtectedGroupUIElement.DisplayDetails()
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.ProtectionViewInternal.FillGroupDetails(GroupingListHeaderItem group)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.ProtectionViewInternal.UpdateDetailsPane()
       at System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.UI.CommonControls.GroupingListView.EndUpdate()
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.UI.CommonControls.GroupingListViewBody.ProcessClick()
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message&amp; m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message&amp; m)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.UI.CommonControls.GroupingListViewBody.WndProc(Message&amp; m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)</ExceptionDetails></FatalServiceError>

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 5:45 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I can't ay for sure, but this can occur if one of the protection groups has a NULL value for IMCatalogXML. To determine if this is the case, run the following query in SQL against the DPMDB:

Select * from dbo.tbl_IM_ProtectedGroup where MarkedForDeletion = 0
    and IMCatalogXML is NULL

This should return zero rows.  If rows are returned, this is likely the issue.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Kyle SA3 Tuesday, December 2, 2014 10:45 PM
    Tuesday, December 2, 2014 8:37 PM
  • I updated the row with junk data, and I was able to remove the protected server from the group.  Thanks Mike!

update

tbl_IM_ProtectedGroup

set

IMCatalogXML='<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?> <se_x0020_IMCatalog xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" UpdateCloudPolicyInCloud="false" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/2003/dls/IMCatalog.xsd"> <ProtectedGroup> </ProtectedGroup> <DataSources> </DataSources> <UserSchedules> </UserSchedules> <ProtectedObjects> </ProtectedObjects> <MediaPool> </MediaPool> </se_x0020_IMCatalog>'

where MarkedForDeletion = 0 and IMCatalogXML is NULL

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 10:45 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I can't ay for sure, but this can occur if one of the protection groups has a NULL value for IMCatalogXML. To determine if this is the case, run the following query in SQL against the DPMDB:

Select * from dbo.tbl_IM_ProtectedGroup where MarkedForDeletion = 0
    and IMCatalogXML is NULL

This should return zero rows.  If rows are returned, this is likely the issue.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 8:37 PM
  • Hi Mike,

That appears to be the case. A row shows NULL for IMCatalogXML. I'm looking at your script to update the value now based on the following thread - thread . So far, no rows have been modified.

Since I really don't care about this protected member, is this a row I could just delete from the DB, or how to properly update the data so I can remove it from within the confines of the GUI?

Marketing 2011-05-19 18:59:41.917

B7073B10-DDE6-4EA3-BD8C-1E1497C218D5 NULL NULL 0 0 0 NULL 2 0 NULL

This PG was definitely around back when this server was DPM 2010.

Regards

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 9:35 PM
  • I updated the row with junk data, and I was able to remove the protected server from the group.  Thanks Mike!

update

tbl_IM_ProtectedGroup

set

IMCatalogXML='<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?> <se_x0020_IMCatalog xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" UpdateCloudPolicyInCloud="false" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/2003/dls/IMCatalog.xsd"> <ProtectedGroup> </ProtectedGroup> <DataSources> </DataSources> <UserSchedules> </UserSchedules> <ProtectedObjects> </ProtectedObjects> <MediaPool> </MediaPool> </se_x0020_IMCatalog>'

where MarkedForDeletion = 0 and IMCatalogXML is NULL

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 10:45 PM
  • OK gr8.  FYI this issue is fixed in update rollup #4, please install that to prevent future problems.

Wednesday, December 3, 2014 2:19 PM