help me RRS feed

• Question

• whenever i try to use voipdiscount to call any number, call is ended with error message  "Sound device problems are preventing this call" and when i click more info tab following message is displayed on screen.
    " There has been a problem with your sound device (21) (CODE:21)
     Please check your settings and connections and try again. (CODE:21)"
     Please help me overcome this problem.

thank you in advance.
    Tuesday, January 22, 2008 1:17 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for your question.

Let’s perform a Clean Boot at first. A Clean Boot will allow us to isolate any device drivers or programs that are loading at startup that may be causing a conflict with other device drivers or programs that are installed in your computer. Below is the steps:

1) Run MSCONFIG.EXE. (MSCONFIG is a built-in tool for Windows XP\2003 systems.)
    2) In the Services tab, click "Hide All Microsoft Services" and click "Disable All".
    3) In the Startup tab, click "Disable All". Click OK. (This will temporarily prevent third-party programs from running automatically during start-up.)
    4) Restart the computer. Does the problem still persist?

If the problem does not occur, it indicates that the problem is related to one application or service we have disabled. You can use the MSCONFIG tool again to re-enable the disabled item one by one to find out the culprit.

And I would suggest that upgrade voipdiscount to latest version. Also, please update your sound card driver to the newest version as a test. 

By the way, It seems is a third party software issue. The error messages you mentioned were generated by voipdiscount.  So if the problem still happens, maybe it’s better to go to voipdiscount’s support which would be most relevant resource for this question.

Thanks.
    -----------------------------
    Sincerely,
    Guozhen Wang
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Thursday, January 24, 2008 11:54 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your question.

Let’s perform a Clean Boot at first. A Clean Boot will allow us to isolate any device drivers or programs that are loading at startup that may be causing a conflict with other device drivers or programs that are installed in your computer. Below is the steps:

1) Run MSCONFIG.EXE. (MSCONFIG is a built-in tool for Windows XP\2003 systems.)
    2) In the Services tab, click "Hide All Microsoft Services" and click "Disable All".
    3) In the Startup tab, click "Disable All". Click OK. (This will temporarily prevent third-party programs from running automatically during start-up.)
    4) Restart the computer. Does the problem still persist?

If the problem does not occur, it indicates that the problem is related to one application or service we have disabled. You can use the MSCONFIG tool again to re-enable the disabled item one by one to find out the culprit.

And I would suggest that upgrade voipdiscount to latest version. Also, please update your sound card driver to the newest version as a test. 

By the way, It seems is a third party software issue. The error messages you mentioned were generated by voipdiscount.  So if the problem still happens, maybe it’s better to go to voipdiscount’s support which would be most relevant resource for this question.

Thanks.
    Sincerely,
    Guozhen Wang

Thursday, January 24, 2008 11:54 AM
  • hi...again..

i did all those but.......
    no use...
    let me ask you something else now. do you think that if i buy a usb voip-"phone", a voip divice for my pc, it will work?
    there will be no longer problem with my sound divices?

thanks again

Saturday, January 26, 2008 3:52 PM
  • Hi,

I am not sure whether a new device will resolve this issue. It may depending on device design and its compatbility. I would suggest calling the manufactor to confirm it.

Also, I have performed more search, and found a similar thread with a possible solution, for your reference:

sound device problem
    http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1905484&SiteID=17

Hope it helps.

Sincerely,
    Guozhen Wang

Monday, January 28, 2008 8:29 AM