none
Keeping up with the times RRS feed

• Question

• Microsoft forces IE or Edge to be our default browser, but it recommends Google Chrome when using their products.  Why are they unable to keep their products up-to-date with new technologies so we can continue to use their products seamlessly?

Our company website and many online software products are designed using HTML.  They are not functionally compatible with Edge or IE and must also use Google Chrome.  Perhaps they should get out of the browser business completely if they can't keep up with the times.

Friday, September 21, 2018 4:00 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You have posted in a TechNet forum for

Questions regarding Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 and Internet Explorer 11 for the IT Pro Audience. Topics covered are: Installation, Deployment, Configuration, Security, Group Policy, Management questions. If you are a consumer looking for answers or to raise a question, it's highly recommended you head on over to http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

A long personal rant follows...I do not work for, nor do I represent Microsoft or their affiliates....

IE and windows is too complicated (has too manu knobs and dials) for the windows home user to successfully manage (bamboozled users). Having a smart device does not guarantee that the user also has a technical, or worldly knowledge to navigate a dangerous public internet. The consequences of internet fraud or identity theft can be life-changing. The internet is a public space, 'caveat emptor' (buyer beware) is the rule of law in an otherwise unpoliced landscape.

Home versions of windows are deployed with OEM builds of windows that may include unpaid for or free security programs and other 'bundled' software. (there are already similar MS products included with your windows home versions)…

Consider purchasing a Windows Surface device instead the next time you upgrade your computer.

There are also Windows S versions of Surface and all-in-one devices for Enterprise and Home users that only allow installation of trusted 'apps' (windows store or Enterprise Store apps)

On All windows versions you could also upgrade your windows home version to student, pro or Enterprise versions, which include network management and diagnostic tools, and bundled Office products and tools, that are not available on home editions or which may be additions that can be purchase/subscribed to from the Windows Store or Retail Software distributors or websites. Free software that you may download from a torrent

Many (non-technical) home users teach themselves the basics of computer management (docs.microsoft.com) or attend community courses that teach them the basics of internet searching, browsing (research) and online protection. Alice and Bob may rely on their children to look after their computers and smart phones for them.

IE still has a wide user base on the Enterprise and small business markets, supporting legacy intranet and big iron computing applications that have dependences for ActiveX controls (Java SE, WMP, Flash, and many, many others) or 'Quirks' features that were implemented before wide acceptance amongst web browser vendors.

Many enterprise and government agencies are still running software on platforms that are over 20 years old...It is just not economical for these organizations to replace their Mission critical, big iron applications.

Company's can however turn the table of the economics of network management by deploying windows 10, and replacing their ethernet cabling with a wireless LAN. Together with fibre NBN and 'cloud' computing, this is the biggest selling point of deploying win10 to the Enterprise or to government agencies.

It is up to the home user (using home editions of windows), to choose their preferred web browser. Many countries have laws that require OS vendors like MS, Google, or Apple to allow users to deploy a web browser of their choice. Google's Android devices was recently in the news, with compliance with EU consumer laws.

Many web browser vendors also have home and enterprise versions of their web browsers, that may include bundled other software, or are configured to favor other software that they sell and support.

Home versions (and mobile versions) of other web browsers also make changes to the settings of the host OS and its security features.... this could actually put your computer at risk, un-beknown to the end user.

Install the portable versions of other web browsers on your home versions of windows which do not hijack windows core browsing and security settings.

Personally I prefer the Vivaldi web browser as an alternative for home users....I have several alternate web browsers installed that I use for testing the websites and programs I write.

MS promotes home users who are running windows 10 to use the new (default) Microsoft Edge web browser that is include only with windows 10 devices. (It is also installable from the Google or Apple stores for your other OS devices.)

It is only google interns or forum trolls (like u k w) or disgruntled/dis-underestimated ex MSFT who promote to home users that thy switch to another web browser on their windows 10 devices... the same ppl also troll the support forums of other windows versions. Many who answer questions at the MS support forums are not MSFT, most are volunteers, with excellent MS Product knowledge, and a genuine concern to help the public at large, or their professional colleagues.

see "Trust me I'm lying - the confessions of a media manipulator" by Ryan Holiday.

It should be the users choice... nullius in verba (words are nothing).

If you visit the google or firefox support forums you will see that their user base have much the same bemusement with competitor web browsers as they do with MS products.  

Regards.

Rob^_^

Saturday, September 22, 2018 2:19 AM