Unknowen Application RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone

I have a problem poping up in my event logs all the time and it has to do with Application.

It doesn't say which application, just application. this is how it goes

The description for Event ID 0 from source Application cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

Value cannot be null.

Parameter name: key

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

Can anyone help me in determining which application it is so I can get rid of that pesky annoyance.

Simple

Monday, September 19, 2016 11:09 PM

All replies

• Hi Simpleoldman,

According to your description, it could be caused by Window operating system is not able to find the path of file EventLogMessages.dll. We could follow the steps in the below to check:

Step 1:  Go to Start -> Run and write regedit and click on OK button in your window operating system.

Step 2: Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SYSTEM -> ControlSet001 -> Services -> EventLog

Step 3: Choose your Eventlog name and expand it.

Step 4: Choose one by one each sub Eventlog and double click on EventMessageFile in right window

Step 5: Write down the correct file name and path of EventLogMessages.dll file in the value data text field.

For example: C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\EventLogMessages.dll

Note:  In general location of EventLogMessages.dll is C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727

If it is not present there then search it in C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework folder.

Step 6: Press OK button and re open the event viewer.

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 1:57 AM
  • Hi Simpleoldman,

Haven't received your message a few days, was your issue resolved? Because the case may be closed few days later.
    If you feel the suggestion could be helpful to you, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members who have same questions and find the helpful reply quickly.
    If no, please feel free to post back and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.
    Best regards,
    Carl Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 8:33 AM
  • Ouch, Sorry Carl.

I haven't had much time to look at it. As we all know running a business is a full time job in itself. Sense I now know where to start I will look further into it. Thanks

Simple

• Edited by Simpleoldman Wednesday, September 28, 2016 2:45 PM
    Wednesday, September 28, 2016 2:45 PM
  • Carl

while going through the list I have found a lot of applications that do not have the EventMessageFile parameters installed.

I have found the file "Application", but it has a value of CatagoryMessageFile. Would that be considered the same as an EventMessageFile?

Some of the files concern me. Ones like ComPlus, CertC, CertEnrolement, Standard TCP/IP Port

Are this entries I should be concerned about?

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 3:32 PM