none
How to remove "Administrative Tools" from the Start Menu for a user/group

Question

• During a computer security course that I'm taking, there was a recommendation to remove "Administrative Tools" from the Start Menu for certain users. I have a security group containing the users which fit the recommended user category and a GPO linked to it, but I've not been able to find a policy template fitting that description; I've come close, but no cigar!

On my server I launched the Group Policy Management Editor for the GPO and navigated to "UserConfiguration>Policies>AdministrativeTemplates: ...", and searched all the templates in the "Control Panel", "Desktop", "Start Menu and taskbar", and "All Settings" categories, but could find nothing that specifically addressed that issue.

Can someone tell me where that policy setting would be, if it's disguised by some other cryptic name or if no such policy exists?

Capt. Dinosaur

Wednesday, March 16, 2016 7:59 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

The following key will hide the Administrative Tools in All Programs:

HKCU -- Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

StartMenuAdminTools

Decial 0

More articles for your reference:

Configure a Registry Item

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753092.aspx

Deploying Custom Registry Changes through Group Policy

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askds/archive/2007/08/14/deploying-custom-registry-changes-through-group-policy.aspx

In addition, below article listed all the possible methods:

http://chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17171&sid=be2eed776820ffbe09ca272ae4a2bed6

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 17, 2016 6:02 AM
  • Hi Alvwan, and thanks a bunch for your reply and the links.

I gave them a cursory read and it looks like they're just what I need to secure one of my workstations.  Sorry I've been so long getting back to you, but my plate is so full that I'm having to hold up four walls with two hands.

Right now no one is using that workstation, but we're in the process of hiring a data entry person for my wife's background screening business, and I want to make sure that the workstation is secure when we finally hire someone.

Capt. Dinosaur

Friday, March 18, 2016 10:30 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for getting back to me.

Since this requirement is only involve one workstation, you just need to modify the related registry key on the specific workstation instead of using Group Policy.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 21, 2016 6:09 AM
  • Actually the requirement is for only one workstation at the moment, however we're hoping that in the near future we and add two employees so that we'd have three workstations in the Data Entry Security Group.  For that reason I'd like to plan for the foreseeable future and use Group Policy.

Capt. Dinosaur

Monday, March 21, 2016 1:44 PM
  • Hi,

I think deploying registry changes through Group Policy is the best choice in our case. You should go back to my original response and read the reference articles carefully. If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Tuesday, March 22, 2016 2:41 AM
  • Thanks again, Alvwan.  I've followed and bookmarked the links in your original response, and plan to implement them in the very near future.

Thank you for your help, I truly appreciate it.

Capt. Dinosaur

Tuesday, March 22, 2016 2:01 PM