none
Windows 7 Extended Support RRS feed

• Question

• HI, we currently develop PCI validated win form applications.  In Jan 2020 microsoft ends support for windows 7 however, they are offering extended support for a cost.

Is there a way to tell if a windows 7 installation has extended support?  We will need to be able to detect this for PCI reasons.

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 6:59 PM

All replies

• Hi mbevins.

I presume you're talking about the Extended Security Update (ESU) program: you can read more about it in the Microsoft Knowledge Base article 4497181; each Windows 7 installation has extended support rights, provided that the Windows 7 edition you're using is included in the list available in that article. 

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MOS, MTA, MCTS, MCSA, MCSE

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 7:44 PM
  • >>Is there a way to tell if a windows 7 installation has extended support

Don’t worry, even though Windows 7 is end of support, we can still install Windows 7 system, just like we can install XP now, you need a Windows 7 installation media, it’s enough.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 12, 2019 2:34 AM
  • Yes however, I need a way to tell if a client purchased extended support.  If they do no purchase extended support and keep using windows 7, they are no longer in PCI compliance.

I need a way to tell if they did purchase extended support.  Since purchasing extended support allows them to continue to receive security updates, I would have to image there is something in the os that lets Microsoft know the os can still get these updates.

Thursday, September 12, 2019 10:53 AM
  • Yes I understand they can still install windows 7 however, they would no longer be in PCI compliance.  In order to remain in PCI compliance, they must use a supported operating system that can still receive security updates.

I need a way to tell if they did purchase extended support so I know if they are in PCI compliance.

Thursday, September 12, 2019 10:55 AM
  • >>In order to remain in PCI compliance, they must use a supported operating system that can still receive security updates.

Yes, you are right.

>>tell if they did purchase extended support so I know if they are in PCI compliance

You need to contact Microsoft partner who sell you extend support or account team directly.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 13, 2019 6:12 AM