Disk encryption for DPM storage pool RRS feed

• Question

• I need to encrypt the stay-at-rest disk containing backup of some servers (usually only the data volume). Is it feasibe to encrypt the storage pool using Bitlocker? Is it feasible to make separate storage pools for backup that need encryption and those don't need it?

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 9:48 AM

Answers

• Unfortunatly - The current versions of DPM do not support bitlocker volume encryption on either the PS or the DPM server.  However, I'm wondering if you could employ the same 3rd party add-on device to the DPM server and see if that will work. 
    Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 9:14 PM

All replies

• Hi,

DPM does not support bitlocker FV encryption - however, it does support NTFS EFS encryption.  So you can enable NTFS encryption for files on the protected servers volume and DPM will be able to protect it and maintain file encryption on the DPM servers replica volume.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 9:58 PM
  • The disk containing data volume is encrypted using 3rd party add-on device and invisible by the OS. Therefore the backup copy will be unencrypted too. Can I separately encrypt the disk containing the storage pool using bitlocker?
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 3:20 AM
  • Unfortunatly - The current versions of DPM do not support bitlocker volume encryption on either the PS or the DPM server.  However, I'm wondering if you could employ the same 3rd party add-on device to the DPM server and see if that will work. 
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 9:14 PM
  • Do you have information on setting up the NTFS encryption for DPM 2010?

Sunday, November 14, 2010 1:34 PM