none
Disk migration did not complete as it should RRS feed

• Question

• I used MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1 to migrate a small drive to a larger one.  The longest retention period in all of my protections is 10 days, and I expect after 11 days all sources would be migrated and "disappear" from the source disk so I can remove it.

I wouldn't mind if I had to wait a few more days longer, however, it's been more than 80 days passed, and I still have some data sources left on the small (source) disk, for unknown reason.  When attempting to migrate again by running the same command, I got the following error :

Set-DPMProtectionGroup : D:\ has recently been migrated. You cannot migrate D:\
     again until the recovery points on the previous replica volume are available.
    (ID: 31224)
    At D:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin\MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1:111
    char:22
    +         Set-ProtectionGroup <<<<  $mpg
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Set-DPMProtectionGroup], DlsE
       xception
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ChainedMigrationError,Microsoft.Internal.Enterpr
       iseStorage.Dls.UI.Cmdlet.ProtectionCmdLets.CommitProtectionGroup
    Remove-DPMDisk : Disk 1 cannot be removed from the storage pool because it cont
    ains storage pool volumes. (ID: 355)
    At D:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin\MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1:113
    char:16
    +     Remove-DPMDisk <<<<  $Source
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Remove-DPMDisk], InvalidDiskE
       xception
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DiskContainsSpmVolumes,Microsoft.Internal.Enterp
       riseStorage.Dls.UI.Cmdlet.RemoveDPMDisk

I really want to remove that old (smaller) disc because I need to use that port to initiate another migration.  What is the proper procedure for me to migrate the leftover data sources ?

Tuesday, March 10, 2015 7:09 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Click on the disk in question in the DPM Storage pool and it will show you the datasources residing on that disk that need migrating.

You can also use this powershell script to see what is on that disk and how much space is needed to migrate the data sources. 

The MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1 has the ability to migrate an individual data source.  The difference being the source is a datasource instead of a disk.

$pg = Get-ProtectionGroup (&hostname)
    $pg
    $ds = Get-Datasource $pg[#]
    $ds
    $disk = Get-DPMDisk –DPMServerName (&hostname)
    $disk
    ./MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1 –DPMServerName DPMTestServer –Source $ds[#] –Destination $disk[#]

You can try using this GUI based version of the script to make it easier.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, March 10, 2015 8:01 PM