none
DNS settings on remote LAN RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, simple question I guess:

A have a two LANS in two cities connected by a IPMLS 30 Mbps link Those two sites are connected two the sae domain. I have two domain controllers one on each city. My question is for the city that has the replica DC the DHCP should set the primary DC as primary DNS server or it should be the closest, fastest one?

Thank you

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 2:56 PM

Answers

All replies

• I usually set the local DNS server as the primary and the remote DNS server as a the secondary. The DC/DNS servers should fully replicate. Keeping the traffic going to the local server should speed things up and allows access to the primary even when the remote server is down for maintenance or because of problems. 

http://searchwindowsserver.techtarget.com/tip/DNS-best-practices-Making-AD-rock-solid

Please remember to select Mark as Answer if someone provides the answer or mark as helpful if the response helps to lead you in the right direction.

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 3:12 PM
  • Hi,

>>My question is for the city that has the replica DC the DHCP should set the primary DC as primary DNS server or it should be the closest, fastest one?

Agree with Larry.In addition,Every DC/DNS server hosting AD-integrated zones should contain '127.0.0.1' in its list of DNS servers, but only as the last entry.

In your case,you could set like this:

Local DNS

Remote DNS

Wednesday, July 20, 2016 2:04 AM