none
BIzTalk General RRS feed

• Question

• Guys,

In my production environment, I have 2 BizTalk Application servers (7 host shared by both servers and 7 host instances per server), 3 database servers (1st has MGMT and MsgBox DB, 2nd has Tracking DB and 3rd has SSO and rest of DBs).

Now whenever it's required, I first reboot the DB servers and then BizTalk Servers. Now if I see that only 1st DB server is culprit with high CPU and Memory, I only reboot that server and BizTalk app servers. Doing that "Am I messing up with mismatch between MGMT+ MsgBox DB data and Tracking DB data?" should I reboot all 3 DB servers and then both app servers? what should be the right order of rebooting the system?

Thanks, Rik

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 9:39 PM

Answers

• Hi Rik,

I would suggest you following steps:

• Stop each application
    • reset iis on each BizTalk app node
    • Stop biztalk host instance on each biztalk app server
    • stop sso service on each biztalk box,
    • Make sure you have no active connection on SQL server message box
    • then reboot BizTalk tracking,messagebox,SSO   and then BizTalk apps servers.

How ever why you need to reboot the servers every time? There is something which is causing you this, You should need to identify and resolve this. 

Please run MessageBox Viewer on you BizTalk production and see if there are any issues with the env.

Please see here for using message box 

HTH,Thanks, Naushad (MCC/MCTS) http://alamnaushad.wordpress.com |@naushadalam

If this is helpful or answers your question - please mark accordingly.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 10:11 PM
  • Hi Rik, yes the process you are following is actually making your environment unhealthy. Although BizTalk jobs upto certain extent take care of this mess but in long run you may encounter performance/throttling related issue. This is because messagebox and tracking databases are used by jobs to move and remove the data. Before retarting of any SQL servers, make sure that there is nothing in processing state from BizTalk console, this way you can avoid unreferenced data piling up in the databases which is further used by BizTalk engine to make system healthy (for e,g, checking throttling parameters).

Please mark the post answered your question as answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, it'll help other users who are visiting your thread for the similar problem,

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 10:36 PM

All replies

• Hi Rik,

I would suggest you following steps:

• Stop each application
    • reset iis on each BizTalk app node
    • Stop biztalk host instance on each biztalk app server
    • stop sso service on each biztalk box,
    • Make sure you have no active connection on SQL server message box
    • then reboot BizTalk tracking,messagebox,SSO   and then BizTalk apps servers.

How ever why you need to reboot the servers every time? There is something which is causing you this, You should need to identify and resolve this. 

Please run MessageBox Viewer on you BizTalk production and see if there are any issues with the env.

Please see here for using message box 

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 10:11 PM
  • Hi Rik, yes the process you are following is actually making your environment unhealthy. Although BizTalk jobs upto certain extent take care of this mess but in long run you may encounter performance/throttling related issue. This is because messagebox and tracking databases are used by jobs to move and remove the data. Before retarting of any SQL servers, make sure that there is nothing in processing state from BizTalk console, this way you can avoid unreferenced data piling up in the databases which is further used by BizTalk engine to make system healthy (for e,g, checking throttling parameters).

Please mark the post answered your question as answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, it'll help other users who are visiting your thread for the similar problem,

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 10:36 PM
  • Hi Rik,

Just to add on my previous notes I would suggest you to refer below great technet wiki articles.

BizTalk Administrator Guidelines

BizTalk Health Check

BizTalk Database survival guide 

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 10:56 PM