WSUS 2012R2 server does not appear to be using BITS RRS feed

• Question

• We have noticed our WSUS server is having a high impact on our LAN performance, on investigation It looks to me like connections to our WSUS server are going over normal HTTP/IIS and not through BITS.

When I look at the BITS queue in powershell it is empty, yet resource manager shows many clients connected and downloading from IIS

The only way we can improve performance on our LAN is to restrict the bandwidth used by the IIS site

Is this the same for other people running a 2012R2 Wsus server, is your BITS queue empty ?

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 12:12 PM

Answers

• Thanks Anne, I think I understand this now ...

Setting BITS GPO on the WSUS server will only impact the WSUS server updating itself.
    Setting BITS GPO on the clients, will limit the bandwidth the clients use to get updates from our WSUS server.

If our WSUS server is being heavily hit with lots of clients, we have two options
    (1) Set an "Application Limit" on IIS on the Wsus server, to restrict the total bandwidth IIS can use
    (2) Amend the BITS GPO Settings used on the clients to use less bandwidth

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 10:29 AM

All replies

• Hi Evana,

Windows update use BITS to download updates from WSUS server, BITS support transfer over HTTP and HTTPS.

Then, do you mean BITS affect the LAN performance? If yes, we may limit BITS bandwidth via GPO.

Computer Configuration>Administrative Templates>Network>Background Intelligent Transfer Service(BITS),  check "Limit the maximum network bandwidth for BITS background transfers":

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 12, 2017 6:03 AM
  • Hi Anne,

We have done this, the limit has been set to 25k But if you look in Resource Monitor for Network Activity, you can see clients upwards of 200,000 bytes.

Additionally when you do a "bitsadmin /list" (or Powershell "Get-BitsTransfer -AllUsers" the BITS transfer queue is showing as empty.

My main question to start is should the BITS queue be empty?

• Edited by Evana94 Thursday, January 12, 2017 8:15 AM
    Thursday, January 12, 2017 8:15 AM
  • Hi Evanna,

>My main question to start is should the BITS queue be empty?

If there are updates need to be download, then the queue will not be empty.

>We have done this, the limit has been set to 25k But if you look in Resource Monitor for Network Activity, you can see clients upwards of 200,000 bytes.

After configure the GPO, do you run gpupdate/ force to apply the policy.

Best Regards,

Anne

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 13, 2017 8:01 AM
  • Hi, thanks for the reply.

Ok something is clearly wrong then, as we have many clients connecting and pulling updates (we can see the throughput in resource manager) but the BITS queue is completely empty. Checking multiple clients windowsupdate.log we can see that its downloading content using BITS, which completely confuses me if the BITS transfer queue on the server is empty.

EDIT: Also checked the BITS queue of some clients who have active connections, and they are also showing as empty.
    And yes, we've ran a GPUPDATE /FORCE (and even rebooted) although policy settings restrict client BITS traffic to 25k we still see connections in resource manager from clients using over 200,000 bytes, and even others running at over 1MB. I guess this is to be expected then as the BITS queue is completely empty.

• Edited by Evana94 Tuesday, January 17, 2017 10:38 AM
    Tuesday, January 17, 2017 8:43 AM
  • Hi Evana94,

Do you use the command "bitsadmin /list /allusers" to query the queue, ensure you add "/allusers".

Best Regards,

Anne

Thursday, January 19, 2017 6:44 AM
  • Hello, 

Even with the allusers switch, the WSUS server BITS queue is showing "0 job(s)"

However, my client (which is downloading updates right now) does make reference to "WU Client Download" and has some jobs in the queue.

But why is our WSUS server BIT's queue showing as empty, and ignoring any GPO's to restrict bandwidth.

Thursday, January 19, 2017 9:36 AM
  • Unable to post images, so hopefully the link below works.

The left hand command prompt shows the BITS queue from my client (that is actively getting an update now) the file path mentioned in this window is the correct one and points to our WSUS server

But the right hand command prompt shows the BITS queue on the WSUS server as empty

https://s27.postimg.org/ggmqwvezl/wsus.png

Thursday, January 19, 2017 1:04 PM
  • Hello, 

Even with the allusers switch, the WSUS server BITS queue is showing "0 job(s)"

However, my client (which is downloading updates right now) does make reference to "WU Client Download" and has some jobs in the queue.

But why is our WSUS server BIT's queue showing as empty, and ignoring any GPO's to restrict bandwidth.

Hi Evana94,

If you mean when clients downloading updates, clients' BITS queue have jobs, while WSUS server BITS queue is empty, then, it is expected.

The one downloading updates, then its BITS queue has jobs. WSUS server's BITS queue will have jobs when the WSUS server is downloading updates for itself, or WSUS services is downloading updates to content folder, or other services use BITS is downloading something.

And if you want to limit the BITS bandwidth on WSUS server, then, you should set the GPO for the WSUS server.

Best Regards,

Anne

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 8:13 AM
  • Thanks Anne,

This is starting to clear things up now, moving forward a little ...

- The GPO setting you mentioned above, is that "Limit the maximum network bandwidth for BITS background transfers" setting a global restriction, or per target (ie, if we set this to 50k would that mean the maximum total bandwidth BITS can use on the WSUS server for all transfers would be 50k, or would it be 50k per client, or 50k per BITS job?

- As you have kindly explained above, the client appears to be managing the BITS transfer (as the jobs are listed in the clients BITS queue, but not the WSUS servers) so ... can you just confirm these BITS related GPO settings on the WSUS server would really be active? (as nothing looks to be managed by BITS from the server)

Thanks for your help so far, its really appreciated.

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 9:02 AM
  • Hi Evanna,

>is that "Limit the maximum network bandwidth for BITS background transfers" setting a global restriction, or per target (ie, if we set this to 50k would that mean the maximum total bandwidth BITS can use on the WSUS server for all transfers would be 50k, or would it be 50k per client, or 50k per BITS job?

If you set the limit 50K, then, all transfers use BITS on per client apply the GPO will not over 50K.

>can you just confirm these BITS related GPO settings on the WSUS server would really be active?

Try to approve an update on WSUS server, then, the update will be downloaded, then, check BITS queue on WSUS server, there will be jobs.

More explanation if you want, BITS is for per system, windows update use BITS to download updates, while BITS is not only used by windows update. If you want to limit BITS bandwidth on specific machine, then set the group policy on that machine, and the settings is only for that machine, not the total network.

WSUS server's BITS queue will not be affected by clients BITS queue, WSUS server's BITS queue will have job only when itself need to download something use BITS.

Best Regards,

Anne

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 9:14 AM
  • Thanks Anne, I think I understand this now ...

Setting BITS GPO on the WSUS server will only impact the WSUS server updating itself.
    Setting BITS GPO on the clients, will limit the bandwidth the clients use to get updates from our WSUS server.

If our WSUS server is being heavily hit with lots of clients, we have two options
    (1) Set an "Application Limit" on IIS on the Wsus server, to restrict the total bandwidth IIS can use
    (2) Amend the BITS GPO Settings used on the clients to use less bandwidth

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 10:29 AM
  • Hi Evana94,

If after test, you make things working in your environment, then, you may mark useful replies as answer in this post.

Best Regards,

Anne

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 2:49 AM