Can you help me to explore windows embedded? RRS feed

• Question

• I am going for Microsoft Action Pack. In its license list it shows like I will get license for Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry Pro, Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry Enterprise, Windows Embedded 8 Standard, Windows Embedded 7 Standard. 

I have query as below.

1. Are these Embedded windows are different windows than Home or Pro Windows 8.1 etc?

2. What will be duration validity of these Embedded windows licenses?

3. Does Embedded windows support all softwares like Visual Studio, SQL, Photoshop etc?

4. Does this Embedded windows works on desktop as well as any laptop?

Thanks

Shekhar

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 4:33 PM

Answers

• The Windows Embedded editions are the special editions for those building devices like ATM machines, test equipment, industrial controllers, etc. The version correlate to the desktop versions:

• Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry - Windows 8.1
    • Windows Embedded 8 Standard - Windows 8
    • Windows Embedded 7 Standard - Windows 7

The embedded versions can run on embedded PC as well as regular PC that have the capability to support the version. The embedded versions include special features to lockdown the system for their particular environment. Although the same application and driver that run on the desktop can run on the Embedded versions, there is license restrictions on the use of these version so you don't compete with desktop manufacturers. The company your are buying the action pack from should be able to address these restrictions and usage.

Developing the operating systems is also very different. I have written a number of books that cover the development process: https://annabooks.com/

If you are not going to use the laptop as a general purpose computer to run different applications, then the embedded version on not much use.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

• Marked as answer by Shekhar P Thursday, December 31, 2015 4:38 AM
    Thursday, December 31, 2015 2:48 AM

All replies

• The Windows Embedded editions are the special editions for those building devices like ATM machines, test equipment, industrial controllers, etc. The version correlate to the desktop versions:

• Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry - Windows 8.1
    • Windows Embedded 8 Standard - Windows 8
    • Windows Embedded 7 Standard - Windows 7

The embedded versions can run on embedded PC as well as regular PC that have the capability to support the version. The embedded versions include special features to lockdown the system for their particular environment. Although the same application and driver that run on the desktop can run on the Embedded versions, there is license restrictions on the use of these version so you don't compete with desktop manufacturers. The company your are buying the action pack from should be able to address these restrictions and usage.

Developing the operating systems is also very different. I have written a number of books that cover the development process: https://annabooks.com/

If you are not going to use the laptop as a general purpose computer to run different applications, then the embedded version on not much use.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

• Marked as answer by Shekhar P Thursday, December 31, 2015 4:38 AM
    Thursday, December 31, 2015 2:48 AM
  • Thank you Sean for your reply.

Please throw some light on below questions.

I am planning to buy DELL laptops and I am going to use embedded windows 8.1 pro for running visual studio, photoshop, MSSQL. Will it support all these?

Also is it going to be lifetime free license of Windows Embedded 8.1 if comes with Action Pack?

Thursday, December 31, 2015 4:33 AM
  • 1. Technically it is possible. Legally, you have to talk to a Microsoft distributor since Windows Embedded is in tended for a limited application set.

2. You need to pay for a license for each system. again, contact your Microsoft distributor for more information.

Thursday, December 31, 2015 6:14 PM