none
dhcp in hot stanby mode > upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• hello all,

I have several DHCP servers in a clustered state, Hot Standby. 32 local Active and 1 remote Hot Standby.

I need to upgrade all these 2012R2 servers to 2016.

Anything I should do so DHCP is not affected?

And what about the 1 Hot Standby server??
    • Edited by jamicon Wednesday, June 20, 2018 12:26 PM
    Wednesday, June 20, 2018 12:20 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for you reply.

You can upgrade in place and have no effect on the DHCP server after the upgrade. Remember to back up the DHCP database and update one by one.

In theory, when you update a local server, the local DHCP service will stop and the remote hot standby server will take its place.After the update is complete, restart the local DHCP server. It will take over the DHCP service of the remote hot standby server.

Just in case, you can choose a server to complete the upgrade, and confirm whether the DHCP service is normal.

Best regard,

Travis

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by jamicon Friday, June 22, 2018 12:14 PM
    Friday, June 22, 2018 6:41 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your question.

I need to confirm your environmentwhether the failover clustered role is installed, and if failover management is used?

• Without failover clustered role

You can upgrade in place and have no effect on the DHCP server after the upgrade. Remember to back up the DHCP database and update one by one.

Refer to the following link:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/get-started/installation-and-upgrade

• With failover clustered role

Windows Server 2016 provides a new feature——Cluster OS Rolling Upgrade, and it enables an administrator to upgrade the operating system of the cluster nodes

from Windows Server 2012 R2 to Windows Server 2016 without stopping the Hyper-V or the Scale-Out File Server workloads.

This means that your DHCP cluster does not need to be stopped or restarted.

Here are process of Cluster OS Rolling Upgrade:

•  Start
    •  Backup Cluster Database
    •  Backup Workload Data
    •  Check CAU is running
    • Pause Node | Drain Roles
    •  Evict Node From the cluster
    • Clean OS install
    •  Join to domain
    • Configure Hyper-V, Storage, Failover Clustering and Virtual Network
    • Add Node to the Cluster and place the workload
    •  Continue these steps with other nodes
    •  Update Cluster Function Level

Refer to the following link:

Cluster operating system rolling upgrade

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/failover-clustering/cluster-operating-system-rolling-upgrade

Hope you have a nice day!

Best regards,

Travis

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, June 21, 2018 10:13 AM
  • Thanks for your reply, very informative.

However I think I may have confused you.

I called it "clustering".

DHCP Hot Standby does not use "clustering"

So, how would I upgrade a DHCP server that is setup in a Hot Standby?

Thursday, June 21, 2018 1:35 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for you reply.

In theory, when you update a local server, the local DHCP service will stop and the remote hot standby server will take its place.After the update is complete, restart the local DHCP server. It will take over the DHCP service of the remote hot standby server.

Just in case, you can choose a server to complete the upgrade, and confirm whether the DHCP service is normal.

Best regard,

Travis

• Marked as answer by jamicon Friday, June 22, 2018 12:14 PM
    Friday, June 22, 2018 6:41 AM