Mobile devices can't connect internal or externally RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, right now anytime we try to sign in on a mobile device such as iphone or android it will not connect with generic error "we can't connect to the server" however if I use windows laptop with Skype for business app it can connect successfully external or internal - it is only mobile devices. I tried setting the server manually or with autodiscover neither work.

Environment:

Server 1: Lync 2013 standard edition front end (Single Server running database and mediation pool)

Server 2: Lync 2013 Edge Server with two interfaces

Microsoft connectivity analyzer shows there is no problem connecting to lync edge with 5060 connection successful.

I tried posting log from android device but says too many characters :|

I have banging my head against the wall for days trying to get it to work :| please help!

-Donald

Monday, August 29, 2016 4:44 PM

Answers

• Hello:

In your environment description I noticed that you did not list a reverse proxy of any sort. If you do not have a reverse proxy solution of some sort deployed you will not be able to connect via mobile. Due to the way the mobile client works, it does not connect to your Edge servers the way a windows client would.

Also, do you have public DNS records set up for lyncdiscover and external web services? Please see the following:

http://blogs.perficient.com/microsoft/2015/06/skype-for-business-reverse-proxy-101/

• Marked as answer by omgthedonny Monday, August 29, 2016 6:17 PM
    Monday, August 29, 2016 4:59 PM
  • Omgthedonny,

A reverse proxy is required for taking 443 web traffic and sending it to the front end via port 4443. If you want mobility services to work you will need one because mobility services works off of the external web services port on the front ends.

-Don

• Marked as answer by omgthedonny Tuesday, September 6, 2016 11:09 PM
    Monday, August 29, 2016 5:39 PM

All replies

• Hello:

In your environment description I noticed that you did not list a reverse proxy of any sort. If you do not have a reverse proxy solution of some sort deployed you will not be able to connect via mobile. Due to the way the mobile client works, it does not connect to your Edge servers the way a windows client would.

Also, do you have public DNS records set up for lyncdiscover and external web services? Please see the following:

http://blogs.perficient.com/microsoft/2015/06/skype-for-business-reverse-proxy-101/

• Marked as answer by omgthedonny Monday, August 29, 2016 6:17 PM
    Monday, August 29, 2016 4:59 PM
  • Correct, I do not have a reverse proxy - I read that it was "optional" and without it you lose features but it should still work - is that not true?

I tried the autodiscover from external and it gives me a error "Turn on TLS 1.0, TLS 1.1, and TLS 1.2 in Advanced settings and try connecting to https://lync.contoso.com again. If this error persists, it is possible that this site uses an unsupported protocol or cipher suite such as RC4 (link for the details), which is not considered secure. Please contact your site administrator. "

-Donald

Monday, August 29, 2016 5:06 PM
  • Omgthedonny,

A reverse proxy is required for taking 443 web traffic and sending it to the front end via port 4443. If you want mobility services to work you will need one because mobility services works off of the external web services port on the front ends.

-Don

• Marked as answer by omgthedonny Tuesday, September 6, 2016 11:09 PM
    Monday, August 29, 2016 5:39 PM
  • I will make an ARR reverse proxy server; Should it point to my "edge" server or my front end server? thats the part i am kind of confused about

-Donald

Monday, August 29, 2016 5:41 PM
  • Hello:

I created ARR reverse proxy server from this guide and it started working like a charm!! Mobile devices connect now without issue. Thank you guys

-Donald

Monday, August 29, 2016 6:18 PM