none
Project pro 2007 - Bar colors won't change according to conditions on flags RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

i created a view with local custom flag fields with a formula.

For example:

Flag8 --> formula:  [Colors] = Purple

If on Colors column (enterprise custom text field with lookup) Purple was chosen then Flag8 will be changed ti "Yes".

That part works fine.

In the view's bar styles i defined a condition where "Normal,Flag8" which means if flag8 equals "Yes" then it is defined that the bar has purple color.

I did similar things on other project plans and it worked.

But in this project file it doesn't change to the color automatically.

Only after i open the custom field list, open the formula in flag8, click OK --> then the bar color refresh and changes.

Anyone knows why is that happening?

Is it a problem with the file, or the view?

Thanks

Ofir

Ofir Marco , MCTS P.Z. Projects

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 1:15 PM

Answers

• It happens in a different view  that was defined with other formula fields (not flags, date fields that wasn't updated as wanted) in few other projects, but i had other projects with the flags that uses the same formula and it works fine.  the bar colors changes as needed.

Hi Ofir,

This is quite an important detail. If the formulas are working well in others projects, it is no need for us to spend time debugging the formulas which are obviously working well. This should be more a corrupted view or corrupted project. 

Try recreating the corrupted views or repair the corrupted files.

Please refer to the following link to repair corrupted files:

• http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm#Handling_project_file_corruption_and/or_bloat

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Monday, February 17, 2014 3:06 PM

All replies

• Another thing i notice.

If i look at the flag fields after the change (Lets say i changed the color from Purple to grey) then i see that both flag8 (purple) and flag15 (grey) have "Yes" for the specific task.

The "Yes" didn't change to "No" in the flag8 althugh the color value was changed.

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 1:20 PM
  • Hi Ofir,

Could you send me your file at guillaumeDOTrouyreATgcosi.com?

Have you tried to open the file on another computer? Also can you give us your exact formula for flag 8?

Thanks.

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 2:05 PM
  • The formule for flag8 is:

[Colors] = "Purple"

in the same way the formula for flag12 is:

[Colors] = "Pink"

Where "colors" is an Enterprise custom field (Type: text) with lookup values:  Red, Yellow, Pink, Purple, etc.

I can send a small part of the file with examples but you will have to also create the "Colors" field with colors values in the lookup table. otherwise the formulas in flags won't work.

Ofir

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 2:32 PM
  • Another thing i notice.

If i look at the flag fields after the change (Lets say i changed the color from Purple to grey) then i see that both flag8 (purple) and flag15 (grey) have "Yes" for the specific task.

The "Yes" didn't change to "No" in the flag8 althugh the color value was changed.

Hi Ofir,

Thus if there are no formula, just lookup table woth color indicator, it is totally normal that the flag8 stays to YES when you set the flag15 to YES. They are totally independant. But anyway it is not clear to me because you're talking above about YES/NO custom fields, then is your last post you're talking about lookup table custom fields, which are 2 different types of custom fields.

Anyway for the vizualisation in the Gantt chart, please mind that the order of the label matter. Meaning that you have to put the new vizualisations (based on your flag) above the default task label.

Hope this helps.

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 2:43 PM
  • Guillaume,

In your last paragraph I think you meant "below" the default task label. The bar style list is counterintuitive since the lower priority styles are first in the list and the higher priority styles are last in the list. I found the best way to explain it is to say that for two conflicting styles, the style appearing lower (physically) in the list will take precedence.

John

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 4:09 PM
  • Indeed John you're right (I always mix up with the bar style precedence..), as usual!

Thanks for pulling it right!

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 4:17 PM
  • Let me explain myself.

The bar styles uses Yes/No flags. 

I have another text field with lookup called "Colors"

Colors lookup includes color list:

Purple

Red

Yellow

Pink 

There are flags for each color in the list with a formula, meaning

Flag15 (lets say it is used for Purple color) includes this formula:

[Colors] = "Purple"

Which means, if for a specific task there is "Purple" in Colors field (because it was selected from the lookup list) then Put Yes in Flag15.

In the bar styles, if Flag15 is Yes, then the Bar is colored with Purple color.

It works this way for each flag (Color).

So for a specific task there can only be 1 color in Colors field and only one flag should be set as yes.

But if colors is changed from some reason it doesn't change to "No".

If the color was purple in a Colors field of a task, and then it was changed to Yellow, then Flag15 [Colors] = "Purple" should be resulted with "No".  and the flag for "Yellow" Should be "Yes".

But they are both "Yes". 

This is what i'm trying to understand.

Sunday, February 16, 2014 6:51 AM
  • Hi Ofir,

I finally get it!

• Is this bug happening just with the flag15?
    • Is it happening on any projects or just one?
    • Have you try hitting F9 to recalculate?

You could also try to delete your flag15 custom field and build it again.

Hope this helps.

Sunday, February 16, 2014 4:00 PM
  • Ofir,

Looking through this thread I don't see anything that says you have SP3 installed for Project 2007. Do you? If not, you can download and install it at: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/ee748587. That update may or may not have any impact on your issue, but it is wise to have it installed for best stability and compatibility.

John

Sunday, February 16, 2014 6:48 PM
  • Hi Ofir,

I finally get it!

• Is this bug happening just with the flag15?
    • Is it happening on any projects or just one?
    • Have you try hitting F9 to recalculate?

You could also try to delete your flag15 custom field and build it again.

Hope this helps.

Hi Guillaume

• This bug is happening with all flags in this project that uses this kind of formula ([Colors] = *Color Name*)
    • It happens in a different view  that was defined with other formula fields (not flags, date fields that wasn't updated as wanted) in few other projects, but i had other projects with the flags that uses the same formula and it works fine.  the bar colors changes as needed.
    • i have tried F9, didn't changed anything.

I will try rebuild all fields.

Thanks

Monday, February 17, 2014 6:43 AM
  • John

Yes i Have SP3.

Monday, February 17, 2014 7:47 AM

Hi Ofir,

This is quite an important detail. If the formulas are working well in others projects, it is no need for us to spend time debugging the formulas which are obviously working well. This should be more a corrupted view or corrupted project. 

Try recreating the corrupted views or repair the corrupted files.

Please refer to the following link to repair corrupted files:

• http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm#Handling_project_file_corruption_and/or_bloat

Hope this helps.

Monday, February 17, 2014 3:06 PM
  • Hi all,

Thank you Guillaume.

I wrote in the beginning that the formula's are OK.

I thought maybe there is a reson way they won't update.

Anyway, i deleted the view and the fields and built them from scratch again.

Now it's working and changing fine.

I guess something in the view was corrupted.

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 6:54 AM