Problems Installing HP Photosmart 7550 Printer RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a solution to installing HP Photosmart 7550 Printer with Windows Vista?  I have tried and tried and Windows Vista does not recognize this printer.  I've downloaded updated software from HP and this does not work either.  This printer was connected to my computer and working fine before I downloaded and started using the Windows Vista Beta.  Please Help! Thanks, Nancy
    Sunday, July 23, 2006 2:37 PM

All replies

• Given the issue I've had with my HP Color Laserjet 1600, don't hold your breath on getting much of any help from HP - at least - not until Vista goes Gold or comes closer to being released.. The tech I talked to @ HP didn't even have a clue about Vista, Longhorn or that Microsoft was in the process of coming out with a new OS. He never heard of "Vista" nor "Longhorn".

I am going to guess you tried installing the printer doing the usual routine - unplug the printer, insert the factory CD and install the drivers, plug in the printer when prompted to the USB port... If it's still not able to make heads or tails of the printer, then it may simply not be a supported device at this point in time.

Sunday, July 23, 2006 10:45 PM
  • The HP Deskjet 960C driver is compatible with the HP Photosmart 7550.

I already test it and it works fine.

Saturday, September 30, 2006 6:40 PM
  • The Deskjet 960C driver does not render text correctly for the Photosmart 7550 printer.

It makes text on test pages look like the 'double-die error' when coins were struck by the die twice leaving a shadow effect like seeing double.

When the correct Windows XP driver is used, the printing is perfect, so clearly the work-around described here and the Deskjet 990 driver that HP recommends are both very poor.

What is needed from both HP and Microsoft are new drivers for new Windows platforms as they are released. The failure by both to migrate existing drivers forward is just stupid. This printer model is just one year old.

We are so tired of the Microsoft driver orphaning problem that we have started migrating to Macs and Linux.
    Tuesday, October 3, 2006 6:47 AM
  • Well, I can say that I installed Vista RC1 (5600) with the Deskjet 960C, printing through a print server and it works just fine, with no double-die error.

I've test it and I'm using it regularly with no problem what so ever.

Off course, I can't use the advance functions off the printer, nevertheless, I can print ok.

But I surely agree with you, we need new drivers from HP or Microsoft to fully take advantage of the printer and the operating system.

Tuesday, October 3, 2006 7:53 AM
  • I'm using RC2 and my HO 6210xi was connected when the OS was installed. The printer was detected and is working without any problem.

I had done the same with RC1. However, Vista's plug and play should detect it, if you unplug the printer from the computer and plug it back in. (First uninstal the printer using  Control Panel/uninstall a program - look for you printer here and uninstall it) Restart the computer then reconnect the printer to the computer and it should be detected.

If that does not work, try reinstalling it the old fashion way of unplugging the printer from the computer and put the installation DVD into the CD/DVD Rom and follow the install instructions.  

If none of the above works, I suggest you revert back to XP. If the printer works in XP then you do not have a printer problem.

Did you do a clean install of RC1?

If you did not I would suggest you do a new clean install of RC1 not an upgrade. (When you upgrade you are also upgrading any problems you might have had before)

Worst case scenerio is you stay with XP and wait for RTM in January.

Remember this is a BETA version and not everything will work for everyone. There are problems that are relative to each individual computer and the software they have on that computer. There are conflicts with one piece of software relitive to another. So, I usually make sure on a new install that my printer, scanner, webcam etc and any other hardware attached to the computer is functioning properly before I install and software. If they were working properly, then the problem might be a piece of software you installed after the printer that is causing a conflict.

Good Luck and enjoy Vista

Wednesday, October 18, 2006 10:01 PM
  • Ok.. So they're getting working drivers out for HP printers. This IS a good bit of news.

For what it's worth... I did a clean install of RC1, Vista's plug and pray did detect the printer but the right driver was NOT found. Installing existing drivers from HP likewise did not work. At least under Beta 2, the drivers that came on the CD would work - though not without hiccups and problems.

Thursday, October 19, 2006 3:22 AM
  • Yeh, right.  As of this date, HP has alternate drivers on their site for the 7550.  Now they say follow the instructions and select the 5550 drivers, use port LPT1 etc.  Anyone else try this?  I did, like 4 times, disconnecting the printer, uninstalling the existing drivers, the printer turns on but nothing prints.  The Hardware Devices in my Vista say the hardware and drivers are working properly.  Strange, it doesn't print!
    Saturday, February 3, 2007 4:50 PM
  • When adding a local printer at the control panel, check all the ports available! there is one especific for Photosmart 7550. Then choose the driver for he Deskjet 5550. You are done!
    Tuesday, May 8, 2007 3:46 AM
  •  

Here is a temporary fix that will print anything on your HP 7550 and other HP printers until hp does come out with a software update.  The only thing that it doesn't do is tell you how much ink is remaining in each cartridge when it prints but you can always run a diagnostict test page to figure that out.

I know it works for the 7550 but haven't tried it for the other printers listed.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00808478&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=e&product=87608

Friday, May 18, 2007 9:23 PM
  •  

Here is a temporary fix that will print anything on your HP 7550 and other HP printers until hp does come out with a software update.  The only thing that it doesn't do is tell you how much ink is remaining in each cartridge when it prints but you can always run a diagnostict test page to figure that out.

I know it works for the 7550 but haven't tried it for the other printers listed.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00808478&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=e&product=87608

Friday, May 18, 2007 9:29 PM
  • have any one of you try to install it through  device manager. I have problem with installing other thing with window wizard. but, i used device manager and install it through there it work just find. using the proper utility it should be installed under.

Saturday, May 19, 2007 1:12 PM
  • Just got a new computer with Vista Basic, and when I tried connecting our old Photosmart 7550, it said it wasn't compatible/couldn't find drivers.

Followed these instructions from HP's website to install alternate drivers.  Photosmart 7550's alternate driver is for the Deskjet 5550.  The instructions walk you through the process and are easy to follow.  Our printer works just fine now!

Monday, June 18, 2007 4:31 PM
  •  

This for the 1610 but use the URL then search for yours, be sure to turn off you printer as well.

Dear

Thank you for contacting HP Total Care.

I understand that you are getting an error message when trying to
    download the full version software for your PSC 1610 all-in-one with
    Vista

I do apologise for the inconvenience you are facing with this issue. I
    will certainly do my best to troubleshoot this issue. However this
    might
    take few e-mail exchanges. Your patience is much appreciated

Ronnie, before proceeding with the troubleshooting steps for this
    issue,
    I want to make sure  that you have tried downloading the software from
    proper link. So to check that, please visit the link I have given below

=== Step 1: Disable all the firewalls and anti-virus software if you
    have installed ===

1.  Click Start, click Run, type Firewall.cpl, and then click OK.

2.  On the General tab, Click on 'Off (not recommended), and then click
    OK.

Please disable all the firewalls before proceeding

=== step 2: Web referral for downloading full version software ===

Caution: the download might fail or will take a long time, if you have
    dial-up connection

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-47767-1&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=390315&os=2093&lang=en

NOTE:  Clicking the link may give an error indicating it is
                invalid.  If this occurs, copy the portion of the address
                on the remaining line(s) and paste it at the end of the
                address showing in your browser until the complete address
                is displayed in the Address box.

If you have successfully downloaded the software, please double click
    on
    the downloaded file to extract it

Now please follow the steps I have given below to install the software
    from the extracted file

=== installing the software ===

Note: Disconnect the USB cable before proceeding

a.  click on windows logo.
    b.  In the run line type %temp%
    c.  Locate for the file that starts with 7zsed76 or simlar to this and
    double click to open it
    d.  Double click on Setup.exe and follow the onscreen instructions and
    connect the printer only when it prompts.

However, if you still find the issue persists, then the only option
    available for resolving this issue is to order a CD for installing the
    software with Vista.

If you are interested, please visit the link I have given below to
    order
    a CD for installing

=== Web referral for ordering a CD ===

https://warp2.external.hp.com/Driver/dr_country_select.asp?Product=Q8100-10019&lang=en&cc=us

NOTE:    Clicking the link may give an error indicating it is
                 ?Invalid?.  If this occurs, copy ?one half? of the link
                  followed by the ?other half?, exactly beside it, to the
                 ?address field? of the ?browser? you use.

This should resolve the issue.  If you need further assistance, please
    reply to this message and we will be happy to assist you further.

You may receive an e-mail survey regarding your e-mail support
    experience.  We would appreciate your feedback.

For information on keeping your HP and Compaq products up and running,
    please visit our Web site at:

http://www.hp.com/go/totalcare

Sincerely,

Paul
    HP Total Care

Friday, August 17, 2007 12:16 AM
  • Nancy, were you able to reslove your HP Photomart 7550 Printer with Windows Vista?

Monday, February 25, 2008 4:58 PM
  • According to the HP web site, the "fix" is to use the DESKJET 5550 driver and also by selecting the DOT 4 port. Look up the link on HP at the link included below.  It indicates that only "basic" functions of the printer will be available, however, and that there will be NO complete driver-fix available with Vista. I used their link/fix and my 7550 works just as described with the basic functions for graphics and text in both black & white/color. However, I have noticed that the digital camera discs will not transfer from the printer to the computer as they did in the past with normal function using Windows XP. That is all I can tell you at this juncture because that is all I have experimented with thus far. Bottom line: I will settle for the basic functions as described v.s. no solution whatsoever which would then make my Photosmart 7550 a basic paperweight and not much more. It's a compromise fix at best but better than nothing at all !!

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?prodNameId=72892&lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=72890&taskId=135

Monday, September 15, 2008 4:11 PM
  • The question was for the 7550 and here we have all these other machines listed. the bottem line is we bought high end photo printers for a reason. HP told me to go buy a new printer. It's a total failure by both Microsoft and HP that no driver exists for this expensive printer. Without the proper driver you can not use the functions like callabrating color and all the photo functions, rendering it useless as a photoprinter. Now it's just a printer and I'm pissed.  If I have to take HP's advice I can assure you it won't be  an HP. I won't buy if they won't stand by thier products. Message boards all over are really hot about this, go to the tech magazines sites and the newspapers and shame them into making drivers.
    Tuesday, December 30, 2008 7:00 PM
  • my windows 7 does not recognize my hp 7350?
    Saturday, October 2, 2010 2:16 AM