none
Side-by-side FIM to MIM upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Are the steps detailed in this guide applicable to moving configuration from FIM to MIM?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/mim/ee534906(v%3dws.10)

1. Back up the pilot and production environments by using the Backup and Restore procedures.

2. Export the FIM Service schema configuration.

3. Export the FIM Synchronization Service configuration.

4. Export the FIM Service policy and FIM Synchronization Service configuration resources.

5. Install the MIM Synchronization Service and the MIM Service in the production environment.

6. Enable the maintenance mode in the production environment.

7. Import the FIM Service schema configuration into the new MIM environment.

8. Import the FIM Synchronization service configuration into the new MIM environment.

9. Install the custom DLLs/Custom Activities/etc necessary for custom workflows.

10. Import the FIM Service policy and FIM Synchronization Service configuration into the new MIM environment.

11. Disable maintenance mode in the production environment.

I guess installing the new MIM solution using existing databases will not work, as we have some additional elements in our solution like: PowerShell activities and another custom activity library (from Soren Granfeldt). A bit of a catch-22 scenario.

Thank you.

SK

• Edited by Shim Kwan Thursday, January 10, 2019 11:46 PM
    Thursday, January 10, 2019 9:03 PM

Answers

• thanks, I am probably misunderstanding something - but here's my thought process:

looking at the following installation steps, it appears as if the FIM Portal has to be up and running before I can deploy these activities? https://github.com/sorengranfeldt/fimactivitylibrary/wiki/installation-instructions

In our current FIM environment, we have these activities deployed, and they have various bits of C# code in them.

If the actual activity is not deployed, and I simply repoint the new MIM instance to the existing FIMService database, surely there will be some sort of problem during the MIM install?

Do you get what I'm saying? Its like a 'chicken or egg' scenario IMHO.

The information is all stored in the FIMService database that the script creates so you don't need to redo any of that. You need to get the assembly into the GAC, though which is independent of MIM being installed. Line 26 of the script does that. You can either run the script without any of the -Create switches or you can just use gacutil /i to do this.

I would suggest you grab the assembly/assemblies for your workflows from the GAC of a current FIM Service machine and re-GAC them on the new servers rather than recompiling. If you change any version numbers in the process of recompiling you may break existing workflow definitions.

Thanks,
    Brian

Consulting | Blog | AD Book

• Marked as answer by Shim Kwan Wednesday, January 16, 2019 10:03 PM
    Wednesday, January 16, 2019 10:01 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Installing MIM using the old databases could work, if you're on a version of FIM that MIM supports upgrading from.

We've done this, but it's a bit of a procedure because it's a different approach for the Sync install than for the Service install.

Br,

Leo

Did my post help? Please use "Vote As Helpful", "Mark as answer" or "Propose as answer". Thank you!

Friday, January 11, 2019 7:51 AM
  • You should be able to simply take a copy of the FIM database, point the MIM installer to it and have it upgrade it. Recreating all of your configuration and data is going to involve a lot of work and room for error so if there isn't a specific reason to do so, I wouldn't.

Thanks,
    Brian

Friday, January 11, 2019 2:20 PM
  • Thank you both.

Brian, a quick question for you: we have numerous 3rd party activities in the FIM Portal (e.g. PowerShell Activity, Soren's FIM Activity Library). How can I install the MIM Portal, pointing at the existing 'FIMService' database BEFORE deploying the actual activities that the MIM Workflows leverage? I hope you understand my question.

Wednesday, January 16, 2019 3:39 AM
  • Hi,

There is no need to deploy these Activity Libraries beforehand to the GAC. You can do it afterwards.

Or, if you want, you can add them to the GAC before installing. Either should work.

Br,

Leo

Did my post help? Please use "Vote As Helpful", "Mark as answer" or "Propose as answer". Thank you!

Wednesday, January 16, 2019 7:20 AM
  • If you don't GAC them beforehand, make sure the other FIM Service instances and the sync engine are stopped. Otherwise you risk workflows getting scheduled on the new node before you GAC the binaries. The workflows will of course fail if that happens.

Thanks,
    Brian

Wednesday, January 16, 2019 3:24 PM
  • thanks, I am probably misunderstanding something - but here's my thought process:

looking at the following installation steps, it appears as if the FIM Portal has to be up and running before I can deploy these activities? https://github.com/sorengranfeldt/fimactivitylibrary/wiki/installation-instructions

In our current FIM environment, we have these activities deployed, and they have various bits of C# code in them.

If the actual activity is not deployed, and I simply repoint the new MIM instance to the existing FIMService database, surely there will be some sort of problem during the MIM install?

• Edited by Shim Kwan Wednesday, January 16, 2019 9:53 PM
    Wednesday, January 16, 2019 9:41 PM

The information is all stored in the FIMService database that the script creates so you don't need to redo any of that. You need to get the assembly into the GAC, though which is independent of MIM being installed. Line 26 of the script does that. You can either run the script without any of the -Create switches or you can just use gacutil /i to do this.

I would suggest you grab the assembly/assemblies for your workflows from the GAC of a current FIM Service machine and re-GAC them on the new servers rather than recompiling. If you change any version numbers in the process of recompiling you may break existing workflow definitions.

Thanks,
    Brian

• Marked as answer by Shim Kwan Wednesday, January 16, 2019 10:03 PM
    Wednesday, January 16, 2019 10:01 PM
  • OK Brian, I understand. Thank you for your time.
    Wednesday, January 16, 2019 10:03 PM