Inactive clients RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

We have been running SCCM 2012 R2 since April 2014 successfully.

We patched it up to SU4 and pushed out client version 5.00.7958.1501 which all went well.

I've noticed that after the upgrade to the clients, we are now seeing a lot of clients reporting as inactive when they are quite clearly online.

The machine I am working with is called PER-1018P and upon checking in config manager it reports as inactive, it is currently switched on, I can browse to c$ and check the logs.

I have manually run the Discovery Data Collection Cycle to try and get the Heartbeat DDR to update but it still shows the last communication time as 12 days ago.

When I browse to the C drive of PER-1018P and look at the logs folder (c:\windows\ccm\logs) I can see that they are updating as they have todays date on them:

I have tried reinstalling the client, running all of the tasks on the actions tab of the client manually but I still cant get the machine to show as active in the console.

The strange things about it is that out of 458 machines, 154 are exhibiting this behaviour and I cant spot any pattern or similarities between the machines that are reporting as inactive. Of the 154 i'm sure there are truly some inactive machines in there but there is no way that we have that many inactive machines on the network, and as mentioned above the ones I am working with I know are switched on and are on the network.

Can anyone suggest any steps I could take to remedy these inactive machines?

Friday, June 5, 2015 2:30 AM

All replies

• Have the systems having issues been rebooted (or at least had their ConfigMgr agents cycled)? Not saying this is an elegant solution, just that I've seen it reported as sometimes being necessary after CU4.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Friday, June 5, 2015 1:37 PM
  • Hi Jason,

Thanks for the suggestion, some of the clients a reboot fixed the issue, there are others like the one in the example above that have been rebooted several times and they still report as inactive.

I have just rebooted PER-1018P again and I can see the logs being written to when it restarts.

Sunday, June 7, 2015 11:29 PM
  • Unfortunately, that's the only fix that I've seen documented anywhere. You may need to open a support case with Microsoft Customer Support Services.

Alternatively, you could upgrade to SP1.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Monday, June 8, 2015 12:55 PM
  • Thanks Jason, much appreciated.

Is SP1 more current than CU4, we are running SCCM 2012 R2 CU4?

Monday, June 8, 2015 11:23 PM
  • Ignore that, just found the article about SP1, I think I'll give this a try before opening a support case with Microsoft.
    Monday, June 8, 2015 11:30 PM