none
TS: Pre-installed Windows 8.1 attempt to install windows 7. RRS feed

• Question

• Greeting,

I recently get a Dell laptop with pre-installed Windows 8.1, but I find out there are many compatibility issues on Windows 8.1. So I decided to install Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit into the system without wipe out the windows 8.1. I followed a lot of threads through the web. I am be able to finally solve the GPT booting stuff and get into the installation page, BUT there is another problem comes up. I cannot find a solution on the internet. The installation cannot be started because there is not enough required space for the window 7 to be installed.

I have 100 GB partition of  free space for the window to installed, so I believe it is the System Reserved Space that makes the problem. However, I have not find a way to resize it no matter I use the third party tool or not, because it is GPT Style.

Is there any way that I could install window 7 without wipe out the window 8.1??

I really need to use the windows 7 since most of my software that I use is not compatible with windows 8.1.

Thanks

CK

Thursday, April 3, 2014 7:31 AM

Answers

All replies

• I believe in theory you could install Win7 to a partition this way using an answer file. A problem would be that the OS won't boot if you deploy it using Setup by default. You would have to add a boot entry to the BCD for Win8.1 using BCDEdit, so that you can have a dual-boot system.

What I would do instead is in Win 8.1 you can burn your recovery media. After doing so, you could do a clean install with Windows 7 and if needed you could reload Windows 8.1 using the recovery DVD.

Thursday, April 3, 2014 2:45 PM
  • Thursday, April 3, 2014 3:25 PM
  • So, I should do a clean windows 7 install and clean my windows 8.1 first  and reinstall the 8.1?
    Friday, April 4, 2014 1:35 AM
  • I followed that, but I cannot solve the insufficient required space when doing a clean install for windows 7. I think it is because the Microsoft System Reserved partition is all used up by windows 8.1.
    Friday, April 4, 2014 1:38 AM
  • You might want to ask the Dell notebook experts in the Dell Notebook Forum for advice.

Carey Frisch

Sunday, April 6, 2014 5:23 AM
  • Thanks for you guys suggestion. I finally can install windows 7 after I wipe the entire system to do a clean install.
    Monday, April 7, 2014 4:48 AM