none
Upgrading the MIM server from windows server 2008r2 to 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I need to upgrade my MIM sync server and 4 MIM portal servers from Windows server 2008 R2 to windows server 2012.

I prefer inplace upgrade for all portal sevrers since I can take one out at a time from Load Balancer and upgrade. But for MIM sync server I am confused whether to perform an inplace or a new server approach. 

I doubt if there will be any issues to the applications (MIM portal and MIM sync) if we follow any of the above approach.

Will there be any problem with the .NET framework?

Kindly assist me.

Thanks

Rajesh

Monday, August 27, 2018 8:23 AM

All replies

• This depends on the complexity of your solution and business constraints, but typically I would install Windows Server on a new server then install the sync service.  If the sync service version you are installing matches the version you are currently running in production, then all you would need to do is point to the existing DB and it would then be your new sync server.  Make sure you stop the sync service on the existing server.  Then, copy over any scripts or server specific requirements from the previous sync server over to the new sync server.  Any scripts that contain server name variables would need to be modified.  As for the Service and Portal, I would probably handle the same way.  Like all good production changes, test in your lab environment and make sure you have a good backup of all your DBs and config files just in case things go bad.  Good luck.

Best,

Jeff Ingalls

Tuesday, August 28, 2018 1:07 AM