none
Multiple single tape device behaviour RRS feed

Answers

• Hi

DPM 2012 will use the standalone tape drives the same as DPM 2010 does today.  Basically you are limited to a single tape drive or library per protection group.   However, I really don't see your problem.  If the Protection Group (PG) contains multiple data sources, simply place them in separate PG's so each data source or group of data sources can use a separate drive.

The one scenario some customers would like us to implement is the ability to protect file shares for a single volume in separate protection groups so the data can be backed up quicker.  That could potentially be done if you are only doing disk to tape backup, but could not be done if doing disk to disk to tape because of the way DPM does block level protection for disk based backups.  As far as I know, that scenario described above is not a feature that is on the roadmap.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 1:49 AM

All replies

• Hi

DPM 2012 will use the standalone tape drives the same as DPM 2010 does today.  Basically you are limited to a single tape drive or library per protection group.   However, I really don't see your problem.  If the Protection Group (PG) contains multiple data sources, simply place them in separate PG's so each data source or group of data sources can use a separate drive.

The one scenario some customers would like us to implement is the ability to protect file shares for a single volume in separate protection groups so the data can be backed up quicker.  That could potentially be done if you are only doing disk to tape backup, but could not be done if doing disk to disk to tape because of the way DPM does block level protection for disk based backups.  As far as I know, that scenario described above is not a feature that is on the roadmap.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 1:49 AM
  • That's kind of what I'd expected but thought I'd check in to see whether the behaviour had changed in 2012.

The problem is that we are protecting a Virtual Machine that is currently 2TB in size and will soon (compressed) not fit on a single LTO 4 drive.

Thanks for your prompt response.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 4:55 AM
  • To give yourself time to respond to the alert requsting a free tape, you should implement this registry entry:

During a tape backup if a tape becomes full and there are no other tapes marked free, Free (contains data) or expired in the library, DPM will raise an alert to prompt for another free tape to continue backup. It will wait for 1 hour by default before failing the job.

This prompting timeout can be configured by the registry entry “PromptingTimeOut” under “HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\1.0\Prompting”

PromptingTimeOut:REG_Dword:43200000  (dec) = 12hrs

The Formula is   (#hrs * 1000 * 60 * 60)

1HR =  1*1000*60*60 =  3600000  decimal

So for each hour to wait, multiply by 3600000.

8hrs = 28800000  decimal

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 3:11 PM