visio viewer will not open embedded .vsd file in word 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to open a .vsd file that is embedded in a word 2007 document. The user who embedded it had Visio 2007 and i only have visio viewer 2010 sp2 and IE 9. When clicking on the .vsd to open it i recieve an error that states:

The server application, source file, or item cannot be found. Make sure the application is properly installed, and that it has not been deleted, moved, renamed, or blocked by policy.

There is a user that can open the embedded file but they have Visio application as well as Visio viewer. It opens in Visio Application on that persons machine. The icon in word shows the Visio applications image. Does the embedded document have some sort of defaulted program associated with it, ie (Visio 2007)? Or should this document be able to be opened with visio viewer?

• Edited by Jakeg_1 Wednesday, April 16, 2014 6:14 PM
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 6:06 PM

All replies

• Was anyone able to solve this?

I encounter the exact same problem, visio viewer 2013 + IE11 cannot open Visio files which are embedded in a word document, although it is possible to open regular visio files which are not embedded,

I know it is possible to extract the visio files from the word document (by renaming the .docx extension to .zip and copy the file from the word\embeddings folder), but I would like to know if there is a fix for this behaviour so it will be possible to open visio files embedded in word document directly from the Word document using Visio viewer?

thanks

Thursday, December 18, 2014 12:33 PM
  • I would like to know as well, your question was the first response to the posting as of yet. Hopefully someone is able to enlighten us with a solution.
    Thursday, December 18, 2014 4:09 PM