none
Implement Hyper-V HA for Cisco UCS C240 with Lenovo X3650

Question

• Dear Forum,

I would like to request idea related implement hyper-v Cluster that run between Cisco UCS C240 and Lenovo X3650M5. Could with run it together as Hyper-V Fail over cluster with Share storage. please advise for any idea and recommendation. 

Regards,

Sokneang

Sokneang SAM

Thursday, March 30, 2017 12:37 PM

All replies

• This is really more of a clustering question than a Hyper-V question.  Though you may get it to work, it would be iffy.  From the cluster side, it is not recommended to have different storage controllers for the shared storage.  Since you are using two different vendors for the hosts, even if the storage controllers are from the same OEMs, the drivers are almost guaranteed to be different.  Clusters work optimally if the storage controllers are running the exact same drivers - sharing storage is a complex exercise and using two different vendors' drivers can lead to issues.  You could get around this issue by using SMB storage instead. No matter what you do, though, when you run the cluster validation wizard you will see a series of warnings on version and driver mis-matches.

From the Hyper-V side, you would need to define all the VMs with processor compatibility mode.  Yes, it may be possible to have two systems from two different vendors with the exact same CPU at the exact same stepping level, but the probability is low.  This is not a big issue; it is just something that you need to do.

tim

Thursday, March 30, 2017 1:04 PM
  • Hi Tim,

for my scenarios we will use one Storage NetApp that will share storage to UCS Host and IBM host. 

Could you advise to setup VM in CPU compatible mode? 

Sokneang SAM

Friday, March 31, 2017 2:19 AM
  • I would hesitate to put that sort of configuration into production.  You might want to talk with NetApp to see if they would even support such a configuration.  They might if you use iSCSI or SMB 3.0 for access.  Though it is not a requirement to have hosts that are exactly alike, it is recommended to at least have servers from the same vendor. 

I can almost guarantee that you are going to get a long list of driver mis-matches because the drivers are from two different vendors.  This opens a can of worms should you ever have an issue.  You will not know if an issue you are having is a result of an application issue, a cluster issue, or a driver issue.  There is a reason the cluster validation wizard checks driver versions - it is not recommended to run a cluster with different drivers on different hosts.

To set CPU compatibility, open the settings for each VM, select Processor, and select option to set processor compatibility.

tim

Friday, March 31, 2017 2:18 PM
  • Agree with Tim. 

Just to add, as long as your CPUs are from the same families it would work much better. Everything else should be similar. 

But anyway, I do not think it is a great idea to put it in production.

Cheers,

Alex Bykovskyi

StarWind Software

Blog:   Twitter:   LinkedIn:  

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Monday, April 3, 2017 3:57 PM