My Cd/DVD ROM Drive up and disapeared. RRS feed

• Question

• I installed Vista RC1 on my 2 month old Vista Ready pc last Fri. everything worked on my pc for a day except not being able to view any videos or listen to any radio stations on Media Center but anyways. Sat. night my CD/DVD Drive up and disapeared. It was'nt in my Device Manager or listed in My Computer. So I was unable to do anything with it but open and close the tray. There was no error or anything telling me about my Drive so this was a surprise to me when it up and disapeared. I've also been reading on other Vista forums where ppl are having the same problem or similar to mine so obviously there is an issue here. The only way I was able to get my drive back was to pop in my pc's recovery disks, restart my pc and start all over with my pc so I'm now back to XP but I miss Vista and am wondering if there is a fix to this? I want to reinstall Vista but want a fix for this just in case this happens again. This is my one and only CD/DVD drive on my pc.

TSST corp CD/DVDW TS-H552L

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 2:24 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This may be a quirk with the PATA interface/drivers.

If you haven't already, try configuring your CD/DVD as "slave," and put it at the end of the IDE cable.  Let it be the only device on that PATA interface.  That's usually the most reliable way to connect an optical drive.  Also check the cable, and try using a good spare if possible (ideally a good 80 wire UDMA/133 rated cable--even though obviously your drive doesn't go that fast.).

Make sure the bios recognizes it, and then try booting Vista.

Dave

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 11:58 PM
  • hi

i get the same problem, i found a temperay solution to this issue, to get the CD/DVD- Rom working put in the vista CD and restart the PC, the Cd/DVD-Rom will work with any Cd/DVD, but if you switch it of and take the Cd out then turn it back on again then it won't work.

I Hope they fix this problem in Rc2 it is realy annoying,

if any one can find a Permanent solution pls Reply,

i have a LG CD/DVD RW

Tuesday, October 10, 2006 12:08 AM
  • TSST Corp. which is Samsung, has no drivers for this device they made CD\DVDW TS-L632D. So, the HP Pavillion dv6000 CD\DVDW is gone. No driver, no support from Microsoft who installed the driver with Vista Home Premium, no support from HP. So, I guess I'll have to send it back to the factory for a driver. Seems like HP would like to just send me the driver email-but no such support! Next time, I won't buy an HP, I've bought many of them. No support!
    Tuesday, March 6, 2007 3:20 AM
  • The same thing just happened to me. My CD/dvd drive does not recognize disks in my HP Pavilion PC. I have CD/DVDW  TS-L632M made by TSST Corp. Have you tried to uninstall driver? I actually got an error msg saying the driver may be corrupted.Error 31?
    Friday, April 13, 2007 5:40 AM
  • Munksupport.com. CD ROM not showing under Vista. Problem ahve to do with the firm ware device. Vista is over writing the firmaware on the CDROM drive. You will if you take a look in the BIOS you will see that it is not showing up, that beacsue teh firmware has been modified. You will need to downlaod the lastes drivers for your DVDROM drive. Totaly harware issues.Munksupport.com  for free online help. or leave a message there.

Here is also a good link for help. http://signpark.proboards81.com/index.cgi

Friday, April 13, 2007 11:39 PM
  • dear. i just bought a new notebook. i was format old window and install.  window vista again. i lost all driver of notebook. please give me a drive to install back. thanks
    Friday, April 20, 2007 6:47 AM
  • These drives use the in-box driver.

You probably loaded a cd/dvd burning application (or non-Vista compatible) that installs a low level driver filter. After you rebooted the system, the ODDs disappeared. Try uninstalling these burning applications that did not come with your computer 1 by 1 + reboot (for each instance) to find out which application may be causing the issue.

E.g. start out with Memories Disc, iTunes, etc.

Saturday, July 7, 2007 3:12 PM
  • Had the problem with the TSST drive not showing up. I followed the instructions in method 1 from this microsoft page and it works fine now: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320553/
    Thursday, July 12, 2007 3:25 AM
  •  XxTripleBeamxX wrote:

I installed Vista RC1 on my 2 month old Vista Ready pc last Fri. everything worked on my pc for a day except not being able to view any videos or listen to any radio stations on Media Center but anyways. Sat. night my CD/DVD Drive up and disapeared. It was'nt in my Device Manager or listed in My Computer. So I was unable to do anything with it but open and close the tray. There was no error or anything telling me about my Drive so this was a surprise to me when it up and disapeared. I've also been reading on other Vista forums where ppl are having the same problem or similar to mine so obviously there is an issue here. The only way I was able to get my drive back was to pop in my pc's recovery disks, restart my pc and start all over with my pc so I'm now back to XP but I miss Vista and am wondering if there is a fix to this? I want to reinstall Vista but want a fix for this just in case this happens again. This is my one and only CD/DVD drive on my pc.

TSST corp CD/DVDW TS-H552L

Wednesday, August 8, 2007 11:39 AM
  • First try to uninstall driver, then reinstall it. if that dont work try out this!

1. Click Start, Run and type regedit.

2. Click "+" beside HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

3. Click "+" beside System.

4. Click "+" beside CurrentControlSet.

5. Click "+" beside Control.

6. Click "+" beside Class.

7. Click on the key {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.

8. Find the values on the right hand side screen "UpperFilters" and/or "LowerFilters".

9. Highlight and right-click on it. Select Delete and click OK to the warning message.

10. Perform the deletion of fiters procedure on the following registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\ControlSet1\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\ControlSet2\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}                 

11. From Registry menu, select Exit. Now, remove the entry for the CD device(s) in the Device Manager and then restart the system.

Monday, November 12, 2007 12:35 AM
  • I tried this on my nephews computer.  He had a yellow exclamation point in device manager for his CD/DVD RW.  It is a TS-L632M drive.  We had tried everything--even HP support!  This is the only intervention that worked.  Thanks PsYkOMan!

Saturday, December 29, 2007 5:58 PM
  • Np

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 7:22 PM
  • Hi

I had the same problem with a band new Toshiba P200 laptop after uninsalting Windows Live OneCare. Your answer was the only one thagt did the trick Thoshoba did not have a clue, and i was about to bring back th machine to the store.  I was very pleased after I did your trick..

It work first shut, and it was a breeze, but it is nor receommanded to people tha are not  familiar with PC manipulation.

One step I would add to your trick, is to take a pick pof teh registry a before and after.

Thanks you fro you help

Tony

Monday, February 4, 2008 4:19 PM
  •  PsYkOmAN wrote:

First try to uninstall driver, then reinstall it. if that dont work try out this!

1. Click Start, Run and type regedit.

2. Click "+" beside HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

3. Click "+" beside System.

4. Click "+" beside CurrentControlSet.

5. Click "+" beside Control.

6. Click "+" beside Class.

7. Click on the key {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.

8. Find the values on the right hand side screen "UpperFilters" and/or "LowerFilters".

9. Highlight and right-click on it. Select Delete and click OK to the warning message.

10. Perform the deletion of fiters procedure on the following registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\ControlSet1\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\ControlSet2\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}                 

11. From Registry menu, select Exit. Now, remove the entry for the CD device(s) in the Device Manager and then restart the system.

You probably just saved me a few hours of time. Glad I ran across this first before searching for a new driver. Thanks a million!!! I'd buy you a drink if you were here.

Thursday, February 14, 2008 2:16 AM
  •  

This works !

Thank you Guys for sharing this bug fix.

I have a Samsung Q35 Notebook and the DVD drive failed to respond to reading any disks.

I was ready to send the laptop to Samsung for repair.  I had assumed it was mechanical problems with the optical drive.

I persevered for a few hours looking for similar problems on various sites ,  nothing obvious to help even from Samsung !

until I found the above fix on the technet forum.

Thanks a million !   you deserve a good few beers for providing this remedy

Sunday, February 17, 2008 12:30 AM
  • Everything went fine until I went to step 8. No upperfilters or lowerfilters.

What do you recommend?

Saturday, March 1, 2008 11:24 PM
  • This worked!

I spent over 4 hours working with the tards at HP support.  They ended up sending me a new drive and I received the same error.  Thanks for the help.

Friday, March 14, 2008 2:23 AM
  • I been having the same problem ..... i tried everything! unistalling the CD/DVD drive to installing it back, i even went to the HP home page but they dont seem to help me with my problem. My drive also doesnt recognizes the disks.....i also got the message that its missing or corrupted or something like it cannot find directory.

HP suck!

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 8:17 AM
  • Just wanted to drop you a THANK YOU, I did what you suggested and and it worked I have my DVD back after three months of trying to find drives that would get it to work.

Thanks again.

Sunday, April 27, 2008 3:45 AM
  • I have the same problem as joeyduck2000.... no upper or lower limits to delete.  Any other suggestions. ???

Sunday, April 27, 2008 4:03 AM
  • You really saved me some god sleep. My dvd rewriter went missing after some downloads from the internet. On the first occasion I restored my system to an earlier date and git it back. A few days after, I did some more downloads and there it went again. I tried the restore which this time did not help. I was contemplating taking my laptop to the store where I bought it from (not yet 6months), but decided to comb microsoft wbsite. I tried your post immediately I saw it. Eventhough that was just a few hours ago, I have since been working with the drive, installing drivers which have been waiting on cd. Thanks a lot.

Monday, May 26, 2008 2:44 PM
  • I am still looking for a solulution where there are no upper or lower limits to delete.  HP wants to send me a new drive, but I don't think that is the problem.  Any suggestions out there.

Monday, May 26, 2008 5:39 PM
  •  

Well you do something wrong then! try it out some more times. this guide works for many cd/dvds.

Peace

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 11:49 PM
  • You probably have saved hundreds of people time and pain, if they know where to look for solving their problems, that is.  I still believe MS needs to create an update for this problem.

Thank you,

Vincent

Sunday, July 20, 2008 9:02 PM
  • yaeh mine just disapeared to I had to reboot and it did it again so Iam looking for help on a fix because I know if I reboot it will do it again if any one knows how to fix it please E-Mail me  thanks

Monday, September 15, 2008 9:22 PM
  • I had the same problem and the registry edit at the bottom of this thread is the only thing that seems to work.  Kudos to the person who came up with the solution!
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 1:16 AM
  • dude.  you rock.

IT WORKED!!!

you are genius.
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 6:32 PM