none
Inconsistency in Resource Cost based on Resource Standard Rate RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

We have Project Server 2010 SP1 environment setup and recently got upgraded to SP2.

We have noticed one strange thing in our setup related to assignment cost based on standard rate. Not sure whether this is an issue or a tool bug or expected behavior or a configuration related setting.

We have a resource for e.g Mr. A whose standard rate are defined in PWA through project professional in terms of days i.e. $630\day considering the fact that organization works on 7 hours per day culture and the enterprise calendar applied for that resource also works on 7 hours per day settings. But when we open that resource in PWA under Resource Center, it shows Standard Rate as $78.75\hr while expectation was to show $90.00\hr as standard rate.

Also, this point was caught when assigning this resource to one of the task in project plan in MPP as there was task of 1 day and when Mr. A was assigned to this task, Cost shown was $551.25 while our expectation was to show to it $630.00 because in Resource Sheet view Mr. A was showing $630.00\day.FYI,the calendar applied on this project was also using 7 hrs per day setting.

So we are not able to understand that why resource standard rates are not based on his calendar timings hours per day.

Please assist me in clarifying this.

Ideas and suggestions are really welcomed.

Thanks,

Ashish

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 9:00 AM

All replies

• Hi Ashish,

A quick question: have you also changed the setting in MS Project for the hours per day (the default is 8 hrs)?

I would change that and then re-save the rates from MS Project

Paul

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 9:14 AM
  • Hi Paul,

Thanks for your response on this post.

Answer to your question is 'Yes'.We have 7 hours per day setting in MS Project not the default of 8 hours.

Sorry but what does last sentence means ? "I would change that and then re-save the rates from MS Project"

Any quick steps now to sort this problem out if you have understood the problem please?

Thanks in advance.

Ashish

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 9:26 AM
  • Hi Ashish,

Has the 7 hr/day setting been save before or after entering the resource rates? Can you try to re-save the rate from MS Project? The standard rate displayed in PWA is telling me that the 8 hrs per day setting was in place when the rates where saved

Please let me know if that's not the case

Paul

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 9:34 AM
  • Hi Ashish,

I just ran a test using a similar environment and I got 90.00/hr but maybe I missed a step?

Initially when I had the task cost calculated it was 720.00 as I didn't change the 8 hrs per day setting

Paul

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 9:43 AM
  • Hi Paul,

I have tried the below steps after getting some guidance from your replies -

Go to Resource Center in PWA.

Select Mr. A from there and Open in MS Project Professional.

File ->Options ->Advanced ->Schedule ->Changed the working hours to 7(which was showing 8) ->Save ->Close

At this point, I feel that rates are correctly saved in resource pool but when I open this resource again, it shows the same rate $630\day and hours shown are 8 for a day.

My knowledge says to go to enterprise global and save there the hours per day as 7 which might solve my problem partially but that is again have problem as in our environment there are different groups with different work timings in a day for examples some are of 8 hrs per day and some are of 9 hrs per day while some are of 7 hrs per day.

So making change in enterprise global template will again bound me to stick with only one option(say 7 or 8 or 9 hrs per day).

Hope I am able to explain the complete background of the problem and now the available solution\ideas are welcomed.

Thanks,

Ashish Tyagi

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 12:16 PM
  • Hi Ashish,

Given that the you are using various number of hrs/day, would entering the cost per hour help? So instead of entering $630/day, use the $90/hr. Is that an option?

Paul

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 12:34 PM
  • Hi Ashish,

Can you go in the resource sheet in MS Project Pro to check that the standard rate is correct?

Then double click on the resource and go to the costs tab to see if the resource has effective dates for the rate A.

Finally check the unit of the resource on the assignment and also the resource maximum unit in the resource sheet. If the max unit is 80%, a 1 day task will have only 80% of work, meaning that the cost will be calculated based on this 80% work. A good way to be sure is to insert the work column in the Gantt chart.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, MCP |

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 12:51 PM