Screen resolution Changes when Switching Users RRS feed

• Question

•  

Sometimes, when switching between users in Vista Ultimate, the screen resolution drops to 800 x 600 from 1680x1050.

Even resetting the display properties doesn't always work and may take several attempts, inclusing a full logoff and logon.

Any ideas?

Thursday, September 25, 2008 10:47 PM

Answers

• Martin

Are you using a resolution higher than the recommended maximum screen resolution for the monitor?

I have seen similar behavior when the screen  was set to an unsupported resolution.

Hope this helps.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Saturday, September 27, 2008 4:30 AM
  • Martin

You definitely have something misbehaving there? The default behavior in Vista is that you cannot change screen resolutions between user accounts?

The only thing I can suggest is a system restore back to a time before this started happening.

If this does not work, I would try reinstalling the latest driver for that Radeon card. If this does not work, you might even want to try reverting back to the previous version of those drivers.

It's been a while since I last used the Catalyst software, but you might want to check the optional settings in there to see if there may be some associated setting for automatically changing resolutions that could be misbehaving.

Hope this helps.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Thursday, October 2, 2008 11:02 PM

All replies

• Martin

Are you using a resolution higher than the recommended maximum screen resolution for the monitor?

I have seen similar behavior when the screen  was set to an unsupported resolution.

Hope this helps.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Saturday, September 27, 2008 4:30 AM
  • No, the LCD monitor (an Iiyama) has a native resolution of 1680 x 1050 and generally the machine runs normally at this resolution, unless we switch between users when it will intermittently change to 800x600.

When this happens, and if I then manually try to reset the resolution to 1680x1050 using 'Display Settings' then Apply or OK, it won't work and simply remains to 800x600. Almost as if my input was ignored.

Usually I have to logoff then log back in to reset the resolution (which then reverts to 1680x1050 automatically in that I don't have to manually reset it from 800x600 at that point) - sometime a Fast Switch will work (Windows Key + L), more often than not it doesn't and thee login screen is also at 800x600.

I have an ATI Radeon 2600 Card which has the most current drivers dated 17 September 2008, Vista Ultimate SP1 fully patched according to Windows Update.

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 9:53 PM
  • Martin

You definitely have something misbehaving there? The default behavior in Vista is that you cannot change screen resolutions between user accounts?

The only thing I can suggest is a system restore back to a time before this started happening.

If this does not work, I would try reinstalling the latest driver for that Radeon card. If this does not work, you might even want to try reverting back to the previous version of those drivers.

It's been a while since I last used the Catalyst software, but you might want to check the optional settings in there to see if there may be some associated setting for automatically changing resolutions that could be misbehaving.

Hope this helps.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Thursday, October 2, 2008 11:02 PM
  •  

I don't have the Catalyst controls package installed, just the basic driver package, so I will try downloading and installing it.

The problem has occurred with several versions of the driver now, not just the current one - the only thing which changed substantially is the SP1 upgrade to Vista - I cannot recall the problem before this update.

To clarify - the resolution change doesn't mean that different users have different resolutions. The resolution may change at the point Fast User switching is activated (Windows Key + L) - the screen will momentarily go black, at which point the resolution may either stay the same or drop to 800x600. 

Clicking on the Switch User button (to go to the individual User login screen - we have 4 users) will keep the resolution, whatever it may be (1680x1050 or 800x600) as will each user from that point on.

Another point to note, is that also sometimes when using Windows Key + L, the screen will go black and stay black - using the TAB key will bring up the password entry box, or the orb icon or the switch user button. Sometime the top and bottom of the screen is cropped. These don't appear until TAB is pushed although the mouse is present and visible. Agian this is intermittent.

Thursday, October 2, 2008 11:53 PM
  • Martin

The WINKEY+L is the 'Lock Workstation' shortcut.

This is probably not where the problem is coming from, but just in case, try the following instead.

Go to the following website, there are simple instructions there that you can use to create a shortcut that will take you directly to the Switch User / Logon screen.

Once you create the shortcut, place it in a convenient location and try using it whenever you want to switch users.

Shortcut to Switch User accounts in Windows XP and Vista - tsdiscon.exe - The Winhelponline Blog:
    http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/shortcut-to-switch-user-accounts-in-windows-xp-and-vista-tsdisconexe/

Let me know if this helps.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

Friday, October 3, 2008 12:34 AM
  • I'm having the exact same issue, also with an ATI Radeon card. Not sure if it's a driver issue or a Windows issue, but it sure is annoying when it happens. Upgraded to the latest drivers and still the same problem. BTW, the Catalyst Control package doesn't help, in fact, Catalyst Control bombed on me the other day when I switched users, so maybe this is an ATI issue.

Update: I just Googled some more on this and there's a long nvidia thread with a lot of users there having the same issue, so if it's drivers it's not just ATI.

Geoff
    Saturday, October 4, 2008 10:15 PM
  •  

Did install Catalyst Control, and it has bombed on me a couple of times as well without resolving the issue.

Definitely think it might be a driver issue. Will try logging the issue on the ATI Support site to see if there is any luck. If I get an answer I will post it here.

Monday, October 6, 2008 7:58 PM
  • Martin

Thanks for the update.

Do let us know what you find with the drivers, I would like to document this problem and the solution for other users.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

Monday, October 6, 2008 8:42 PM
  • Hello, I have EXACT same symptoms. I use 2x24" LG tft monitors in dual view configuration at their native 1920x1200 resolution. My graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512. I have tried every possible driver version, including betas and WHQL's. The symptoms started exactly after Vista SP1 update. So something changed in that SP1. Please let the people who can test and do something about it know about this issue.

Tuesday, October 7, 2008 10:27 PM
  • I'm also having this issue, but it happens when the vista UAC darkens the screen to ask me yes/no (which is pretty much Fast User Switching between user and admin), then when I click it, it goes back and I get an 800x600 screen. Clicking anything on Display Properties does nothing at all, I have to do a full reboot.
    I'm running Vista Ultimate SP1, ATI Radeon 4870 with catalyst 8.9 on a 24" lcd, 1920x1200 native resolution. I don't think it's the ATI drivers, it started happening long after I went to 8.9.
    Monday, October 13, 2008 9:08 PM
  • Any news on the fix? I've been using maybe 15 minutes every day for dealing with this problem since updating to SP1. It is easily the biggest problem I've ever had with any operating system.
    • Proposed as answer by farout2 Saturday, May 18, 2013 6:19 PM
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 7:34 PM
  • When troubleshooting this yesterday, I found the only thing I had installed right  before having this issue was a Symantec pcAnywhere-based program. After uninstalling it, I haven't had the issue yet. Do you have any remote desktop software like that or VNC running?
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 8:40 PM
  • Having the same problem.  Have had it for a long long time(over a year) with no fix yet.  I'm on a 2nd video card, both have been NVIDIA GeForce Cards with the latest using a 8600 chipset.  I don't have PCAnywhere or other remote control software.  Generally if one user logs out completely, the resolution will fix itself.  The rest of the time, if both users log out, it has almost always returned to normal.  A couple of times, we've had to reboot to fix it.  Adjusting the display settings doesn't work at all while the resolution is jacked up.

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 1:11 AM
  • As the thread starter, I now have another support enquiry running on the ATI site. So far, their only advice has been as follows:

Set ATI EXTERNAL EVENT UTILITY to Manual

1. Start Windows VISTA using a monitor connected through a VGA port
    2. Go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services
    3. Click on "Continue" on "User Account Control" window
    4. Select "ATI External Event Utility"
    5. Make a right-click on it and select "Properties"
    6. Under General tab change "Start Type" to "Manual"

If you have an ATI card you may wish to try this, apologies to the Nvidia owners with the same issue - is there a comparable service running??

I have done this, but to be honest, the machine hasn't been rebooted since I made the change and I can't stop the service from MMC. My monitor EDID file is also not reporting the correct max resolution, which is odd as it is the correct driver and the INF installation file is also correct. I have queried this with Iiyama - again waiting a response. (The max resolution reported is not one that the monitor ever switches to, so I don't think this will be relevant ultimately)

Will update further once I get a chance.

Friday, October 17, 2008 11:38 AM
  • Anyone also having issues when resuming from sleep mode?
    Friday, October 17, 2008 11:48 AM
  • I believe this is an application issue... try reformatting and reinstalling Windows, and see if the issue occurs on a fresh install with no additional programs.
    Sunday, October 19, 2008 6:03 AM
  • I am having exactly the same issue.

When I switch to another user the resolution drops from 1920x1200 (monitor native resolution) to 800x600.

When I attempt to manually increase the resolution to the native settings it reverts back to 800x600.  I can always change the resolution to another setting though (1680x1050) or 1920x1080).

If I switch back to my original user and then completely disconnect the other user, I can on occasion manually switch back to 1920x1200.

This is very annoying especially for my wife who ends up working in 800x600 all day unless she calls me at work.

-David Kerr.
    Thursday, October 23, 2008 6:56 PM
  • FYI, after I reformatted and re-installed Windows, I have not seen this issue (so far). It's been about a week now. I wonder if this happens after upgrading the video card? I had upgraded my video card not before this started happening.

Thursday, October 23, 2008 7:00 PM
  • Having all users format their drives and re-installing the OS and configure all software as it was before in the hopes it might help, is not satisfactory resolution in my opinion. It's gonna take many days, even weeks, and enormous effort to get the OS and 3rd party software configured and installed as it was before, and even then it's not guaranteed to help. Microsoft HAS TO investigate the cause of the bug and provide a fix.
    Sunday, October 26, 2008 4:49 PM
  • Absolutely.

If we just wipe and restart who is to say it won't start to occur again.

Anyone from Microsoft want to gather some information to start figuring out the root cause of this issue and resolve it?

-David.
    Sunday, October 26, 2008 11:28 PM
  • I'll add a big ME TOO to this thread.  Here's a detailed write-up I did about the problem earlier - I still haven't found any suggestions for fixes or workaround.

I have a frustrating problem with display resolutions in Vista on multiple machines.  Over time, the behavior of the display slowly degraded and exhibits multiple problems.  It’s acting as though it’s running out of video memory, specifically with these symptoms:

1.       Vista will sometimes refuse to use my monitor’s native resolution (1920 x 1200).  This happens most often when switching users or unlocking the desktop.  When this happens, the display gets forced to 800 x 600.  If I go to the display properties and set the resolution one notch lower (1920 x 1080), that resolution always works fine, though of course it’s not what I want.  If I set it back to 1920 x 1200 and click apply, the slider automatically jumps to 800 x 600.  This problem comes and goes at random intervals – if I just leave it at 1920 x 1080 for awhile (a couple of hours or overnight), then later I might be able to set it back to 1920 x 1200 successfully.  Or maybe not.  A reboot always fixes the problem.

2.       Sometimes the secure desktop (UAC prompt and when the machine is locked) renders only partially or won’t render at all.  In the worst cases the entire screen is completely black except for the hardware mouse cursor and I have to click around randomly to find the buttons, or remember the correct keystrokes, to unlock my machine or to dismiss the UAC prompt.  The dialog is there, it’s just not getting painted.  I never see painting problems with the regular desktop, only the secure one.

I’m seeing these problems on both my home machine and my dev machine at work, and they have very different hardware components.  The only thing they have in common is that they’re both using Nvidia video cards.  My home machine has an Nvidia 8800 GT with 640 MB of video RAM, and my dev machine has an Nvidia 8800 GTS with 786 MB of video RAM.

My home machine experiences these problems very regularly, possibly because each of the six family members has a separate account and we switch desktops a lot.  The problem tends to be exacerbated after running full-screen games, but that’s certainly not the only trigger.  I can go from a clean reboot to display resolution problems in a very short time if I reboot, log in to all six desktops sequentially and cycle through them a couple of times.  I have only a single 1920 x 1200 monitor on that machine.

My work machine has only my own desktop and I never switch users.  It tends to take a lot longer for the problems to develop but it will eventually get into such a bad state that I’m forced to reboot it.  I’m running dual 1920 x 1200 monitors on that machine.

I have the latest Nvidia drivers on both machines but I’ve been experiencing these problems for a very long time – several months at least.  I don’t remember when it started, exactly, but I’ve gone through at least half a dozen driver revisions to no effect.

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 3:46 AM
  • Well, if reformatting/re-installing fixes it, then it seems that Vista on its own is not at fault. Might be a common program or a driver that we've all installed at some point.
    Or maybe this happens when someone upgrades hardware, which then yes it might be Vista's fault. For me, the last possibility is that it started happening after I replaced a video card.

I guess we don't have enough info as to the cause of this yet. That's why it would help to reinstall Windows, then track of when it starts happening again, if ever. Then we'll have a better idea. As for myself, I haven't experienced it since I reinstalled.
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 11:31 AM
  • I too am having the same issue after I log on.  I am the only user, so simply booting up and logging on makes the resolution nearly impossible to navigate.  I have to feel my way around outside the view and change the resolution every time I log in.  I went to ati and installed a newer driver but that didn't help.  This started about a month ago.  I'm having display driver issues with my laptop, too (Vista!) and it simply freezes up and crashes once or twice every time I use it.  The error report tells me it's the NVidia driver.  No updated driver or fix is ever available when I report the error.

Sunday, November 2, 2008 10:30 PM
  • I'm having this same problem on Vista Ultimate with an Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS.  I forget how long it's been happening, but it's been a long time - several months at least.  I've never figured out how to fix it.

Is Microsoft aware of this problem?

Sunday, November 9, 2008 6:00 PM
  •  DarrenUtd wrote:

Is Microsoft aware of this problem?

I'd like to know this too. If posting in this forum is not enough, then what's the next step?
    Sunday, November 9, 2008 6:35 PM
  •  

I have had this problem for the first time today.  No new installs, hardware or software.  Just happened when switching users and had to restart to be able to reset the resolution to 1600x1050.  Graphics card is ATI 2600XT, Vista Home Premium.
    Sunday, November 9, 2008 10:29 PM
  • My son purchased a HP Pavillion Notebook with Vista Ultimate. For no apparent reason the screen resolution changes to such huge icons that the machine becomes unusable. We have reinstalled the NVidia drivers several times and it works for a few hours then the problem reoccurs. Since he uses it for his business, reinstalling Vista every time this happens is not an option. We are seriously considering "upgrading" to Windows XP Pro. Is it any wonder why corporate America is balking on Vista conversion. Our business would be OUT OF BUSINESS if we went to Vista.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 3:02 PM
  • Ok Microsoft, time to do something or at least acknowledge the issue ffs. Getting sick of having to deal with this bs every day.
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 3:02 PM
  •  

I've had the same problem for months (since SP1?), and it's driving me insane!  I've got a nvidia 8800 running 1680x1050, and after switching users a few times, it'll drop down to 640x480 or 800x600.  Sometimes I can coax it back to 1680x1050, sometimes I need to reboot.  Sometimes changing to a lower resolution and then to 1680 helps.

I've tried the newest WHQL and beta video drivers -- no luck. Sad

No, reformatting is not an option.  I can't lose a week of productivity restoring everything!

Another thing that I noticee (maybe unrelated) is that my desktop wallpaper won't align properly anymore.  For example, a BMP that looked like this:

...would look like this on my LCD:

The top-left corner of the bitmap is in the center of my screen, and then the rest of the image wraps.  Crazy.  Dreamscene wallpapers still work properly, though.

Kirk

Saturday, November 22, 2008 11:38 PM
  • Same problem here too....anyone have any luck so far? The only thing I've read elsewhere is to try and remove old drivers in safe mode and install new ones. Going to try this today to see if it helps.
    Sunday, November 23, 2008 2:14 PM
  • I also get the problems described in this thread.

My home PC shows the screen resolution change issue regularly when switching to other users. It uses an ATI Radeon X1950 Pro graphics card.

My Dell laptop which rarely switches users shows the black screen on locking very regulary. Both machines running Vista Ultimate SP1

The screen res problem is getting very annoying now.

Regards,

Steve

Monday, November 24, 2008 10:59 AM
  • A week ago, I went to install Dreamscene and noticed that the Dreamscene tech preview was still installed also.  I removed them both, and haven't seen the resolution switch prob in a week.  Still have the gimpy desktop wallpaper, though.

Monday, December 1, 2008 12:00 AM
  • A follow-up:

- The resolution problem still persists.  It was just hiding for a couple weeks :P
    - Fixed the wallpaper prob; it was unrelated.
    Friday, December 19, 2008 3:27 PM
  • illodin said:

Ok Microsoft, time to do something or at least acknowledge the issue ffs. Getting sick of having to deal with this bs every day.

Another month gone by, and nothing has happened?
    Wednesday, December 24, 2008 8:02 PM
  • I have exactly the same issue. 

To clarify, with dual 1920x1200 screens, the symptoms are that when you switch users (5 users on machine including guest account), sometimes the screen resolution on the right screen drops to 800x600. Sometimes it also drops on the left (primary) screen as well.

Sometimes it also occurs when I hibernate the machine (with other users still logged on), boot and log into another user.

When noticed after the problem, the monitors in the settings display may have reversed position causing 2 to appear first and forcing me to move the cursor off the primary screen left to get to screen 2.

I have also seen other exotic less frequent symptoms like when you switch the resolution and it fails, the left screen will blank and not refresh and will gradually display when you move the mouse over each icon causing it to all of sudden appear in the black screen. None of these or other symptoms can be categorized as they don't occur repeatably.

This 800x600 resolution change however is very repeatable. If I restart, log on and switch users two or more times, it WILL eventually occur.

Correcting the resolution is problematic. More often than not, you cannot simply switch back to 1920x1200 as it simply attempts to, drops to 800x600 and asks you if you want to keep the resolution. It always accepts 1920x1080 (one step less) and sometimes after that it will also allow 1920x1200, sometimes not (it requires a re-logon or a rebooot). Sometimes after you have corrected it for one user, if you switch to another user they still have the problem and when you switch back you now have the problem again.

I have not got this to occur with one user logged on and any other resolution changes before finalizing on 1920x1200, or any combination of complete log-offs and log-ons as other users (not to say that it won't occur).

Possibly verifiable facts.

1. It is probably not specifically related to the Video card or driver. Throughout this thread I have seen references to Nvidia cards with the symptoms above. However I have a ATI Radeon X800GT with identical symptoms. This may be related to Vista SP1, since some users mention they did not see it before. Since I just upgraded to Vista less than a month ago with SP1 installed right away, I can't verify. The only way it could be related to a driver is if perhaps both manufacturers mentioned are coding an incorrect Microsoft API spec.

2. It **IS** related to the OS. I have dual 1920x1200 screens that functioned for many years on Windows XP with the exact same video card. The motherboard is updated however this is highly unlikely to produce the symptoms. Windows Vista OS is the most significant change if you discount the driver on account of different manufacturers having the same symptom.

3. It is not related to Vista Aero. I turned off Aero by switching back to Vista Basic for all users (5 users on computer) plus switched their Mouse Pointer to an non-Aero setting (using the same one I used on XP - Bronze-3D) and it does not solve the problem. It is also not related to DreamScene since I don't have it turned on.

4. It appears to be more likely to happen, the more users that are logged on during a switch user. It almost seems like a reserve memory allocation problem assuming that Vista is doing something exotic like keeping as many users displays in memory as possible since their logons are usually pretty rapid if they have been on the computer while it was running. Wild guess, but possibly an area of investigation.  Most users have customized their background and their screen saver possibly adding to memory issues.

My next step is to find out if there is way to turn off the "Switch Users" function like there was in XP. If this is possible I will try with this scenario to see if forcing users to log off in order to switch users helps. This would give a lot of weight to wild guess #4 above. 

*** Update. So far I have only found a way to turn off the availability of "Switch Users" for each user (not available for each of them) with a policy. However this does not solve the issue because if you hibernate the machine, boot up and re-logon as another previously logged on user, you can get the problem. Looks like the only workaround might be to defeat both "Switch Users" and "Hibernate". This defeats a lot of functionality of Windows and is a prettty bad workaround (if it solves it).  This also may be a challenge to implement for me. My Microsoft keyboard Sleep button on Windows XP used to have the option to shut down the machine. On Vista it only seems to have the option to Sleep and Hibernate, not ShutDown. I'll update what it does if I find a way to turn off Hibernate (like XP).

*** Further update. I have cautioned all users to logoff before hibernating the machine, rather than continuing to find a way to make the Sleep button on the Microsoft keyboard do a shutdown instead of a hibernate, and so far the issue has not reoccurred. This points to #4 above as an area of investigation. However the loss of "Switch Users" and "Hibernate with users still logged on" is a loss of a lot of functionality in Vista....

*** Further update - not related directly to problem, but in case anyone read this and was wondering if I found a way to get the Microsoft keyboard Sleep button to shutdown (not avail in choices) instead of hibernate, yes I did. Use powercfg /q to get a list of GUIDs and the use powercfg -setacvalueindex ... to change the "Sleep Button Action". Even though the choice is not available in the advanced power configuration it will now show ShutDown. Reboot before it works.  Thus I can now force all users to shutdown the system effectively eliminating the symptoms. Still a very bad solution.

This is never going to get logged at Microsoft unless someone who pays for support logs it. Microsoft employees will never see the problem. How many of them have to share a computer? Last time I was in Redmond, their server room had 3000 computers and power users had multiple computers and that was in the 90's.
    Tuesday, December 30, 2008 12:18 PM
  • Wray, my experience supports fact #4:  I've got 3 users logged in, and just got hit by the prob.  I can't get back to my original resolution (sometimes I can), but I managed to get one level below my preferred resolution.  I logged one user off, and saw no improvement.  I logged the next user off (only one logged in now), and manged to get back to the proper resolution.

Microsoft, I hope you've got somebody working on this one!
    Thursday, January 1, 2009 1:28 AM
  • Same issues here. Thought I was the only one having this issue till I found this thread.

I too have a ATIRadeon HD 2400 with Vista Ultimate.

Occasionally after switching users, the screen rez will drop to 800x600 from the native 1680x1050 with no chance of returning to normal. The closest I get is a tick below that.

Once thing I did notice was that I can force the colors to 16bit and then I can get the 1680x1050. But generally a reboot fixes the issue but it's very annoying.

I've seen other suggests of disabling TMM in the task scheduler under MobilePC, but that didn't do anything for me. Also saw some other suggestions to allow the computer to sleep when media sharing (I have my zune software sharing to my network).

I've tried updated video drivers, etc... no fix yet. :(
    Saturday, January 3, 2009 2:35 AM
  • Yea it definitely seems to be some sort of (lack of) resources/memory problem that was introduced in Vista SP1.

I have 2x24" 1920x1200@32bpp monitors, and when the symptoms start, I can get it back to the native resolution if I set the color depth to 16bpp! Then both monitors are 1920x1200@16bpp, and if I try to change color depth to 32bpp it resets back to 800x600.

I wish the reason Microsoft is being quiet about it, is not because they're hoping users would slowly forget about it and stop complaining, and buy the Windows 7 and then this Vista SP1 issue wouldn't be an issue anymore.
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 9:02 PM
  • I've read the full thread, and have some add'l symptoms to provide that I have seen, that might help someone at MS looking into this (if anyone there actually reads these things - at times I wonder):

I have all of the symptoms listed previously, with a few differences -

it only happens to my monitor on the right (monitor #2); my two monitors have different native resolution (1680 x 1050 on the left #1, and 1200 x 1600 on the right #2)

it happens (sometimes) even when I logoff from another user's account, not just with quick user switching (like just now).  I also often see it with just two users logged in; I don't need a lot of users logged in to tickle this bug.

I have had an add'l symptom (I have no idea if related, but does often occur at the same time as the resolution change, and also at times even when the resolution doesn't change:

My taskbar also exhibits various strange behaviors on user switching.  I keep the taskbar on the right hand side of my monitor #1 (left monitor).  It often comes up at a much wider width that I left it at, and at times moves to various others places, including the right hand side of monitor #2.  I have seen this behavior even when I simply return from a screen saver lock, returning exactly to the same userid previously active.

Also, when resolution change occurs, my wallpaper often changes from a custom image to a black screen, and it's very difficult to restore my original wallpaper, often requiring multiple attempts.

I have an NVIDIA 8600GT, and the problems happens both with the latest driver from MS, and well as the more recent driver loaded directly from NVIDIA.  Running Vista Ultimate SP1. And to eliminate another idea mentioneds by others, I just did a BIOS upgrade to elimiante that as a possibility.

As others have said, would be **REALLY** nice is someone at MS would at least acknowledge that this is a bug a lot of users are seeing and that they are looking into this, but that's probably too much to expect from Redmond.   And MS wonders why Vista has the bad rap that it does.  Very annoyed.

Sunday, January 11, 2009 1:40 AM
  • Why is this thread marked as "answered"? Maybe that is the reason there's no reply from Microsoft, they don't look at already "answered" threads. Can it be changed?

Btw, I've been running in 16bpp color depth with native resolution 1920x1200 for a few days, and resolution doesn't switch back to 800x600. As soon as I try to change back to 32bpp it changes to 800x600 so it definitely seems to be some sort of resources problem.
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 9:04 PM
  • I had this problem several months ago and after searching for ages I found someone who had traced the problem to the Java update process!
    Don't ask me what the connection is I don't know.
    Sadly for me I'm searching again as the problem has returned (I guess there's been another Java update!!!)
    but this time I can't find the fix I found previously.
    Damn I knew I should have written it down!
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 7:05 PM
  • illodin said:

Why is this thread marked as "answered"? Maybe that is the reason there's no reply from Microsoft, they don't look at already "answered" threads. Can it be changed?

Btw, I've been running in 16bpp color depth with native resolution 1920x1200 for a few days, and resolution doesn't switch back to 800x600. As soon as I try to change back to 32bpp it changes to 800x600 so it definitely seems to be some sort of resources problem.

I can't figure out why it was marked as an answer. Looks like anyone can propose a thread post as an anwser, so it takes a 2nd person (perhaps the original poster) to accept it as an answer.
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 1:47 AM
  • If this is marked as answered even though it's not, then maybe somebody should re-post it.
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 4:00 AM
  • Hi,

I have the same resolution problem. I had a NVIDIA GeForce 7500 LE. Their technical support blamed my monitor first. So I changed my HP monitor to a LG monitor, but that didnt help. Nvidia later said it must be their driver and they dont have a fix yet. So I changed my display card from NVIDIA GeForce 7500 LE to ATI Radeon HD4830. Again the problem still remains. So I am confused now. This sure is not a Monitor/Graphics card problem. Someone here said this may be cause by Java update process. I have uninstalled Java today. Waiting to see what happens now.

Thursday, February 5, 2009 6:12 AM
  • Okay I can confirm removing Java did not solve the issue.
    Friday, February 6, 2009 3:48 PM
  • Yes i have had this problem as well. I think it is happening from when windows logs me off from inactivity then i resume my session. This is a brand new install of vista ultimate SP1. I am using an ATI 4550. I have been able to reset the resolution within my display settings on each ocurrence of this. 
    Monday, September 7, 2009 1:24 AM
  • I have a guess that it is directly related to direct X10 ( not sure if you can install DX9 for vista ? ) or try giving all users administrator privledges , and see if the user switching problem still occurs.  Give all users admin privledges , and reinstall latest software and drivers for vid cards. give em a try .... and post reply.
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 3:57 PM
  • The answer to this entire problem is to not use the switch user feature, it will mess things around all the time, plus it uses way to much RAM.
    • Proposed as answer by Alec02 Tuesday, March 15, 2011 11:45 AM
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 10:11 PM
  • I have been also experiencing the same issue for a long time.  All the drivers and Windows Vista itself are the latest.  Rebuilding my computer, reinstalling Windows, dozens and dozens of other software and tools, personal files is not an option - who has the time and patients to do it?  And who can guarantee that this exercise will fix the issue?  If there is no resolution to the issue from the vendor - Microsoft, why doesn't it provide a free upgrade to Windows 7?  Really.  I am also a software developer.  When the user reports an issue with my software - I investigate it right away, recommend a fix, apply it, and never charge for this kind of work.  Car manufacturers issue recalls free of charge to address their problems.  Stores offer replacements for faulty merchandises.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 11:56 AM