none
CPU capacity exhaustion by spoolsv.exe RRS feed

• Question

• I would greatly appreciate some help to solve our problem. I am facing CPU capacity exhaustion by spoolsv.exe service process become over 75%. This happens on Application + Printer server (Windows server 2016 standard), once per 2 weeks or so. Therefore, I monitored and analyzed with using "Process monitor" when spoolsv.exe has exceeded 50%. Process Timeline shows "CPU Utilization" as "Total CPU 50%, Kernel CPU 0% - 0.2%(mainly 0%)" through the period of monitoring. With filtered by process name : spoolsv.exe as include, there are several periods as a very few real spoolsv.exe events(activities). Some periods have only "Process Profiling" event in several seconds. However, in all spoolsv.exe Process Profiling event, it shows passing the 5 seconds which is 50% of CPU time.
    I have no idea but who is wasting CPU time. This is not like a ghost; actual problem will happen when total CPU utilization become 100%.
    Strangely, this CPU load increase for spoolsv.exe is stepwise. I observed 12.5%, 25%, 37.5%, 50%, 62.5%, 75%, which means 12.5%/step; 1/8 of total CPU. Our server has 8 core CPU; however, all CPU core have averaged loads.
    Thursday, March 12, 2020 5:01 AM

All replies

• you can configure printer driver isolation in 2016.. so, enable it, and then look at what printer driver is causing the issue

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/print/printer-driver-isolation

Run each driver in isolated mode, and you will see a lot of printisolationhost processes running one for each printer.

One of these will go to 100%, but at that point you will know which driver is causing that and you will be able to update it it or remove it 

HTH
    -mario

Thursday, March 12, 2020 7:11 AM
  • Hello mario,

Thanks a lot for usefull information.

I will try to set driver isolation mode to our system administrator.

Thanks again.

Akiwo

Thursday, March 12, 2020 8:30 AM
  • Hello mario, and experts,

I tried to set printer driver isolation, however this is high hurdle for running 24hour-365day server machine. Is there another way to get more detaile data ?  Please let me know what is cause of stepwise CPU load increase, if anyone have idea.

Akiwo.

Wednesday, March 18, 2020 6:42 AM
  • you can do one driver at a time, and monitor the external isolated process for some time. If this is not causing 100%CPU on the isolated process move to the next driver.

The other way is to take a dump of the spool process and send that dump to Microsoft for examination. Open a case with the Support and let them find the culprit.

HTH
    -mario

• Edited by mariora_ Wednesday, March 18, 2020 7:14 AM
    Wednesday, March 18, 2020 7:14 AM