none
How to set up reports in Microsoft Project 2013? RRS feed

• Question

• I need help with reports in Microsoft Project 2013. I have a project plan with activates (in the column “Task Name”), with man hours as weighting (in the column “Work”) and with duration for each activity.  

I need a report with S-curves and histogram. I want the histogram to be man hours (work) for each project month and with man hours at the left y-axis. The s-curve should be cumulative man hours (work) with percentages at the right y-axis, and it should be 3 curves (baseline, current and actual work). I have managed to get the baseline and current curve, but I do not know how to make one for actual work.

One last thing, I need to report on project months, not on normal months. Cut off is the last Sunday of the month, instead of the whole month. For example, the project month for October 2015 should include week 40, 41, 42 and 43. Week 44 falls under project month for September. Because the last Sunday in October is in week 43. When I look at my baseline curve, it looks like Microsoft Project are using whole months, is it possible to get it to use project months (last Sunday)?

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 10:28 AM

All replies

• Hi Zlatman,

Presumably you are starting with the Visual Reports feature.  I would start with the Cash Flow Report, but when using the report, change the pivot table in Excel to show Cumulative work, Baseline Cumulative Work, Actual Work etc.  You might have to edit the template to add your values into the report.  It's easy enough to create an Excel template once you have the report in the format you want.  

Re Project Months, no, I don't believe so.  Your choices are days, weeks, months, quarters and years for the level of detail.  I would start with days so you can see the data correctly.  

This post - http://www.applepark.co.uk/earned-value-shenanigans/ gives some insight into using Visual Reports...

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 2:25 PM
  • Zlatman,

Project has never supported accounting months (what you call "project months"). It has always, and apparently still uses, calendar months for all monthly data. If you need to show your data in accounting months I suggest you either set the Visual Reports timescale for weeks and then manually manipulate the data in Excel to conform to your accounting months, or in my opinion, an even better approach is to use VBA to export the desired Project data configured in accounting months to Excel and then produce whatever reports your need.

Another thought.

John

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 3:29 PM
  • Thank you for your answer.

I have not much experience with VBA. At my last project I used Safran Project (a Norwegiandevelopedsoftware originally for the offshore industry) as a planning software, and there it was possible to choose how to report. Is it hard to make the VBA macro needed to do this? Do you maybe have an example I can look at?

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 6:07 PM
  • Zlatman,

Is it hard to create a VBA macro? Well, that's a subjective question. For me, no because I've been doing Project VBA for many years. If you've never done any VBA, and particularly Project VBA, then creating the macro will be challenging without some help. It involves exporting Project timescaled data using one of the TimescaledData Methods and parsing it out to create the accounting month period you need.

Although I've done that exact type of macro in the past I do not have anything I can share with you. However, if you are willing to learn Project VBA, I recommend Rod Gill's book on the subject (http://www.project-systems.co.nz/project-vba-book/index.html). The book includes examples of code and at least one of the code samples is how to export timescaled data. If you decide to try your hand at a VBA solution and need some help, feel free to use this forum to ask for assistance and we will be glad to help you.

John

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 8:59 PM
  • John has a point, this could be done with VBA, but I would check out the visual reports as suggested. You might find you get 80% of what you need for zero effort.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 9:44 PM