none
Reconciling redundant resource names in MS Project 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• I am using MSProject 2007.  I am trying to clean up data quality issues with resource names in my project.  For example Jane Doe might be assigned to some tasks as Jane Doe, and others as Jane D, or Jane.  I'd like to remove Jane and Jane D, and assign those resources to Jane Doe. 

I started to filter on resource names and fix task assignments one at a time, but this is taking entirely too much time.  I also tried renaming the resource on task usage, but it just creates two resources with the exact same name (e.g., two of Jane Doe).  It does not reassign from Jane  to Jane Doe. 

Thursday, April 21, 2011 8:34 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi, Firstly select View, Resource Sheet, then apply teh Work table or insert teh Work column. It's safe to delete all resources with 0h work as they won't have any assignments.

In the Gantt Chart filter for a resource, select all filtered tasks then display teh Assign Resources dialog (Alt+F10). Click on the resource to replace then click teh replace button, select teh replacement resource name then OK. Repeat until done!

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book Rod Gill Project Management
    Thursday, April 21, 2011 8:50 PM
  • cathy_123 --

Have you tried applying the Resource Usage view, and then dragging the task assignments from Jane D to Jane Doe?  You can select all of the task assignments for Jane D and drag them as a batch to Jane Doe.  Alternately, you can apply the Gantt Chart view and apply the Using Resource... filter, and then filter for Jane D.  After applying the filter, using the Control key to select all of the tasks shown by this filter, click the Assign Resources button to display the Assign Resources dialog, and then click the Replace button and select Jane Doe.  This will make the replacement as a batch on all the selected tasks.  There, you now have two ways to do a mass replacement.  By the way, I applaud you for wanting to clean up your projects by standardizing resource names!  :)

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Thursday, April 21, 2011 8:55 PM