Remote Desktop Licensing (RD Licensing) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have some question regarding RDP Licensing.

I have one license server with about 100 RDP license and few jump server. I added jump servers names to correct group on License server and it is working fine. 

The Question is:

If I add some AD group to remote desktop users on Jump server should I add same group to remote desktop users on License server or not ?

Thursday, October 11, 2018 10:26 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Agree with cthivierge.

When a user or a device connects to an RD Session Host server, the RD Session Host server determines if an RDS CAL is needed. The RD Session Host server then requests an RDS CAL from the Remote Desktop license server. If an appropriate RDS CAL is available from a license server, the RDS CAL is issued to the client, and the client is able to connect to the RD Session Host server and from there to the desktop or apps they're trying to use.

Add the group/user to Remote Desktop Users group and they should have the permission to establish remote session. Or, you can complete it via UGI on Connection Broker:
    Collection Properties – User Groups - Add

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 12, 2018 2:43 AM

All replies

• If i understand, you want to know if you need to give access to the user account (within AD group) to the license server, am i right ?

If it was the question, then no.  The user does not call the License Server.  Only the RDSH Server will call the License Server to get a license for a user.

hth

This posting is provided AS IS without warranty of any kind

Thursday, October 11, 2018 11:17 PM
  • Hi,

Agree with cthivierge.

When a user or a device connects to an RD Session Host server, the RD Session Host server determines if an RDS CAL is needed. The RD Session Host server then requests an RDS CAL from the Remote Desktop license server. If an appropriate RDS CAL is available from a license server, the RDS CAL is issued to the client, and the client is able to connect to the RD Session Host server and from there to the desktop or apps they're trying to use.

Add the group/user to Remote Desktop Users group and they should have the permission to establish remote session. Or, you can complete it via UGI on Connection Broker:
    Collection Properties – User Groups - Add

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 12, 2018 2:43 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Monday, October 29, 2018 2:05 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Please click “Mark as answer” if any of above reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Wednesday, October 31, 2018 3:19 AM