I have windows 7 home premium 64-bit with SP1 and an i7 processor on a DELL laptop. I removed Internet Explorer last week and am attempting to install it again. RRS feed

• Question

•   However, I get an error stating that my iertutil.dll file is corrupted and Internet Explorer install aborts.  What can I do to fix this file.  I'm the administrator of this computer but DOS doesn't give me access to this file.
    • Edited by Gary Caron Friday, August 28, 2015 1:12 AM
    Friday, August 28, 2015 1:11 AM

Answers

• Hi,

First of all, I would like to know the two versions of the Internet Explorer which you uninstalled and installed and how you removed the old Internet Explorer, by turning off the Windows Features or uninstalling the related Windows Updates. In addition to that, you would better to make sure the downloading resource if you download the installation package to install Internet Explorer. We cannot conclude the exact reasons for the issue until we know that.

However, before we know that, you can try the suggestions below to troubleshoot the problem.

Based on my research, iertutil.dll is a file which help Internet Explorer to start and will not affect the system, and it is under the path C:\Windows\System32, so it is feasible to copy it from a normal PC and paste it to the corrupted one.

Secondly, you can have a try by using DISM-Restore Health command and remember running the “Command Prompt” as administrator.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Hh824869.aspx

In addition to that, you can attempt to perform System Restore to make the PC back to the point which use normally.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/restore-system-files-and-settings

Wish you can troubleshoot the issue smoothly.

Best Regards

Simon

Monday, August 31, 2015 8:46 AM

All replies

• I removed Internet Explorer

Probably not, so what did you actually do?  E.g. if you used the Windows Features checkbox that only hides iexplore.exe at whatever level that item shows.

More significantly it would help to know what version of browsing functionality your OS has.  You can do that with ResMon and explorer.exe  e.g. in the Resource Monitor CPU tab, select explorer.exe and in the Associated Modules pane sort by version.  If Version is not showing you can right-click the column labels to then tick that option.  Tell us what the highest level IE-related module is and what version it has.  It is not obvious but you can capture a selected line from that display by pressing Ctrl-c.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, August 28, 2015 4:23 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

First of all, I would like to know the two versions of the Internet Explorer which you uninstalled and installed and how you removed the old Internet Explorer, by turning off the Windows Features or uninstalling the related Windows Updates. In addition to that, you would better to make sure the downloading resource if you download the installation package to install Internet Explorer. We cannot conclude the exact reasons for the issue until we know that.

However, before we know that, you can try the suggestions below to troubleshoot the problem.

Based on my research, iertutil.dll is a file which help Internet Explorer to start and will not affect the system, and it is under the path C:\Windows\System32, so it is feasible to copy it from a normal PC and paste it to the corrupted one.

Secondly, you can have a try by using DISM-Restore Health command and remember running the “Command Prompt” as administrator.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Hh824869.aspx

In addition to that, you can attempt to perform System Restore to make the PC back to the point which use normally.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/restore-system-files-and-settings

Wish you can troubleshoot the issue smoothly.

Best Regards

Simon

Monday, August 31, 2015 8:46 AM