Remove partitions from a Hard Drive RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Win 8.1 Pro.  I am taking a harddrive from another computer which as a boot partition and 2 other partitions.  I would like to completely reformat the drive to remove the partitions so I end up with just one partition of 500MB ( which is the total drive), and I don't want it to be boot drive.  I am lost about how to do theis.
    Wednesday, December 31, 2014 1:53 AM

Answers

• I am using Win 8.1 Pro.  I am taking a harddrive from another computer which as a boot partition and 2 other partitions.  I would like to completely reformat the drive to remove the partitions so I end up with just one partition of 500MB ( which is the total drive), and I don't want it to be boot drive.  I am lost about how to do theis.

1. Connect the drive to your computer, either internally or externally using a USB cable/enclosure.

2. Right-click Computer (This PC) > Manage > Storage > Disk Management. Identify the disk you want to delete/format and right-click the graphic of the partition to be removed, select Delete Volume and reply Yes. The partition returns to Unallocated. Repeat this deletion for the other 2 partitions.

3. Now right-click the graphic for the unallocated space then choose New Simple Volume. Type in a meaningful Volume label name and format it (Quick format is sufficient). It is now ready for use.

Why do ninety-nine per cent of politicians give the rest a bad name?

• Proposed as answer by Michael_LS Thursday, January 1, 2015 2:49 AM
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Wednesday, January 7, 2015 9:51 AM
    Wednesday, December 31, 2014 8:27 AM

All replies

1. Connect the drive to your computer, either internally or externally using a USB cable/enclosure.

2. Right-click Computer (This PC) > Manage > Storage > Disk Management. Identify the disk you want to delete/format and right-click the graphic of the partition to be removed, select Delete Volume and reply Yes. The partition returns to Unallocated. Repeat this deletion for the other 2 partitions.

3. Now right-click the graphic for the unallocated space then choose New Simple Volume. Type in a meaningful Volume label name and format it (Quick format is sufficient). It is now ready for use.

Why do ninety-nine per cent of politicians give the rest a bad name?

• Proposed as answer by Michael_LS Thursday, January 1, 2015 2:49 AM
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Wednesday, January 7, 2015 9:51 AM
    Wednesday, December 31, 2014 8:27 AM
  • Hi MadMouse,

You may follow the steps mentioned by BurrWalnut to format and reconfigure the partitions on the disk.

For more information about manage disks in Windows, please check:

Disk Management

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, January 1, 2015 11:52 AM