Task Manager will run but then closes RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

When Task manager starts it foreces a close.  The folowing error is generated.

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: taskmgr.exe

Application Version: 6.1.7601.17514

Application Timestamp: 4ce79737

Fault Module Name: taskmgr.exe

Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.17514

Fault Module Timestamp: 4ce79737

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 000000000000d2b1

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID: 2057

Additional Information 1: 6d1b

Additional Information 2: 6d1b0fa04cd4668f1c60a18f6182d18d

Additional Information 3: 379f

Additional Information 4: 379f75718b21c5330d36ae0f1502a99a

Saturday, June 25, 2011 3:03 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Does this issue persist in Safe Mode?

I suspect certain DLL files are corrupt, please run process monitor to monitor this issue:

Troubleshooting with Process Monitor

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Monday, July 4, 2011 1:10 AM
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 6:24 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Did this issue occur recently?

First of all, you could try system restore to get back to a previous time point which everything worked fine.

If this issue persists, I suggest you perform a Clean Boot or boot into Safe Mode to see what the result is.

Meanwhile, try to use SFC command to check if this could fix this issue:

How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, June 28, 2011 10:16 AM
  • Hi Alex

Thank you for your reply.

Yes this has only just started. I tried SFC unfortunatly it never cleared the error, and a sytem restore of one month (ish) never fixed the issue either. Sadly the full cleanboot has also failed to resolve the problem.

I have AVG antivirus with all the very latest updates and have done a full scan of the drives etc... and all seems well. The AVG registry checker reports that all is well therin.

Leslie

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 8:54 PM
  • Hi,

Does this issue persist in Safe Mode?

I suspect certain DLL files are corrupt, please run process monitor to monitor this issue:

Troubleshooting with Process Monitor

Alex Zhao

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Monday, July 4, 2011 1:10 AM
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 6:24 AM
  • Hi Alex

I tried to install the process monitor.  But it failed to install from the run command?  On the next boot of my PC I had the dredded BSD with white text and I had to restore to an earlier point in time just to get the machine running again.

Of interest, but maybe not relevant IE9 always reports that it is closing when I first use it after a system boot, but never actually closes.

I am tempted to simply FDisk, format and rebuild the drive from scratch, as there is something just not right and I don't want it to crash when I least expect it to.  I am only running office 10 and MS flightSim X, so not a major rebuild although I had hoped that Win7 64 bit was going to be a bit more stable and reliable.  The machine is less than 6 month old.

Monday, July 4, 2011 11:09 AM