Forwarding of email to two separate smtp addresses RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Team,

I am working on a project where the sharepoint server is going to migrate  a new one. total 200 users are there where the scenario is the user will have two separate smtp, the old one with the old sharepoint server and the new one with the new sharepoint server.

now we have a plan to use transport rule to route mail for both the sharepoint server, but we don't want to have 200 rules in HT servers.

Currently, we have 200 contacts in place for which we are planning to have HT rules. We can do it by having mail user by configuring forwarding but it is not accepted by the management.

Do we have any other way to achieve this ?

Please share your thoughts.

Thanks

Mihir Nayak If a post is helpful, please take a second to hit the green arrow on the left, or mark as answer, thanks

Thursday, May 10, 2012 7:57 PM

Answers

• hi,

You can use the auto forward in AD for each user. See the below picture.

I think you can use the script to bulk change the setting.

hope can help you

thanks,

CastinLu

TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Castinlu Wednesday, May 16, 2012 5:12 AM
    • Marked as answer by Castinlu Friday, May 18, 2012 9:27 AM
    Friday, May 11, 2012 9:30 AM
  • I tested this, and doesn;t seem this is possible...

Sukh

Monday, May 14, 2012 9:47 AM

All replies

• hi,

You can use the auto forward in AD for each user. See the below picture.

I think you can use the script to bulk change the setting.

hope can help you

thanks,

CastinLu

TechNet Community Support

Friday, May 11, 2012 9:30 AM
  • Agree with CastinLu, I can;t see any other solution, you have transport rule, olk rule, forward to as above.

Sukh

Friday, May 11, 2012 9:32 AM
  • Thanks for your reply.

But, the recipients are sharepoint address which are belongs to two different servers.

As i mentioned above, currently we have 200 contacts and when any user want to send email they get it from the GAL. Now these contacts are going to have different smtp address of a different server (migration project).

We can do it by using mail user but it was not accepted by management, is there any other way to do that? i don't want to use 200 HT rules for 200 contacts .

Example : user1@shareointserver1.com needs to migrated user1@sharepointserver2.com .

so requirement is if any mail comes for user1@shareointserver1.com  then a copy needs to deliver to user1@sharepointserver2.com

I need total 200 HT rules to forward a copy of the mail , which never looks good.

Please share if you have any different thoughts to achieve this.

Outlook is not coming to the picture here, sharepoint server will not be able to forward a copy to other server either.

Thanks

Mihir Nayak If a post is helpful, please take a second to hit the green arrow on the left, or mark as answer, thanks

Friday, May 11, 2012 12:38 PM
  • So, it these are contacts, you can't you create another EAP and assign the new sharepoint address and target these contacts?

Sukh

Friday, May 11, 2012 1:07 PM
  • No, if i create 200 new sharepoint contacts then how the mail will reach to the new contacts, when users are sending to the old sharepoint contacts ?

Any suggestion please

Friday, May 11, 2012 4:49 PM
  • I'm saying to add to the existing contact?

Sukh

Friday, May 11, 2012 7:12 PM
  • Ok Thanks.

If i add two separate smtp address to one contact, if anyone send mail to this contact, would it deliver the mail to both the smtp addresses ?

I am in doubt ?

Please confirm.

Thanks

Friday, May 11, 2012 7:24 PM
  • I tested this, and doesn;t seem this is possible...

Sukh

Monday, May 14, 2012 9:47 AM