none
Summarised work hours for parent task calculates incorrectly when a resource is added RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

I'm having a problem where the parent task for a number of sub-tasks is not properly calculating and rolling-up the work hours of the sub tasks. The only time it displays correctly is if a resource is not assigned to the parent task. 

Has anyone else had this issue and any ideas on how to resolve?

Thanks, Ryan 

Saturday, August 19, 2017 11:09 PM

All replies

• Ryan --

You are not giving us much information.  When you refer to a parent task, are you describing a summary task?  And if so, is the summary task Auto Scheduled or Manually Scheduled?

Where are you seeing the problem?  Microsoft Project or Project Web App?  If Microsoft Project, what version are you using?  2010, 2013, or 2016?  And is your copy of Microsoft Project fully updated with the latest updates from Microsoft?  If in PWA, in what view do you see the problem?

Please let us know and we will try to help you.  And if possible, attach a screenshot, as that would help.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Sunday, August 20, 2017 5:47 PM
  • Hello Dale. 

I am referring to any task that has subtasks underneath it in the project web app. My understanding is that by default the top level task should roll-up everything underneath it. Sorry, my account hasn't been verified yet and it won't allow me to post images. Any task that has subtasks underneath it shows a correct rollup of hours when a resource it not allocated to the task. As soon as I allocate a resource to the task that has subtasks underneath it, additional hours are added above the sum of the hours of work of the subtasks. Hope this helps.

Thanks for your help, R.

Wednesday, August 23, 2017 1:07 AM
  • Auto-scheduled.
    Wednesday, August 23, 2017 1:08 AM
  • Ryan --

Please try publishing the project from PWA and then let us know if you still have the problem.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, August 23, 2017 4:03 PM