none
Somethings wrong, my PC guy was stumped

Question

• I am unable to modify power plans, and change the effect that closing the lid on my laptop does:

Here are some of the symptoms:

1) DOS mode command "Net Start Power" results in "System error 5 has occurred. Access is denied" when issued from an id with Administrator privileges.

2) DOS mode command "runas /noprofile /user:Administrator 'cmd /k net start power'" produces the error message "RUNAS ERROR : unable to run cmd /k net start power. 1327: Logon failure: user account restriction. Possible reasons are blank passwords not allowed, logon hour restrictions, or  a policy restriction has been enforced."

3) Device Manager Batteries + Microsoft Composite Battery "Device status: This device cannot start (code 10)."

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide.

Wednesday, September 13, 2017 11:18 AM

All replies

• Try updating chip set and related drivers from your laptop manufacturers web site.
    Wednesday, September 13, 2017 4:02 PM
  • Updating the chipset drivers had no effect on the problem.

Wednesday, September 13, 2017 9:51 PM
  • Hi,

Please click the link after that error to see

Could please try to run the command "Net Start Power"  again by following steps.

1. Go to start and type cmd in the search field.

2. Right-click on cmd listed and click on “Run as Administrator”.

3. Once the Command Prompt opens, type the command.

Did you have password with your account that have administrator right?

If no, please try to set a password. Then try to modify power plans.

And you could use following command to see the available power plan.

1. Open Command Prompt.

2. Type

powercfg /list

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 14, 2017 10:47 AM
  • Run as Administrator command prompt "net start power" give a little bit more info, but nothing of any consequence:

The Power service is starting.
    The Power service could not be started.

A system error has occurred.

System error 5 has occurred.

Access is denied.

That was on the password protected id John, in the Administrator group.

I also attempted the RunAs on the Administrator id, using the (different) password on that account. Apparently, that failed due to a security policy issue.

"powercfg /list" results in the following:

Existing Power Schemes (* Active)
    -----------------------------------
    Power Scheme GUID: 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e  (Balanced)
    Power Scheme GUID: 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c  (High performance)
    Power Scheme GUID: a1841308-3541-4fab-bc81-f71556f20b4a  (Power saver)
    Power Scheme GUID: dbbda3ca-7ff5-4265-97b8-ce8d045fcb8d  (My Custom Plan 1 - Power Saver) *

As you can see, I was able to create a power plan, but I was unable to change the contents in any way.
    Thursday, September 14, 2017 10:30 PM
  • Did you try to use another administrator account to see if the account can modify power plans?

Did you see any event created in Event Viewer?

Please try to run PowerCfg -RestoreDefaultSchemes in Command Prompt, then run powercfg /list to see if it restores power plane.

And you could try to use Powercfg.exe tool to control power settings. Here is a link may help you use Powercfg.exe.

Powercfg Command-Line Options:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc748940(v=ws.10).aspx

Please try to give Full permission to the registry hive HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE from registry editor.

1. Go to start and type regedit.exe.

2. Select regedit.exe from the list.

3. Right-Click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and select permissions.

4. See if Everyone is listed in the Groups or User names. If not add it by clicking on Add button and typing Everyone in the blank field.

5. Click OK to add it.

6. After that, select the Full Control Allow checkbox for everyone.

7. Click OK to save the settings.

In addition, you could run following command in Command Prompt to check system file corruption.

sfc /scannow

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 15, 2017 10:19 AM
  • sfc /scannow found error that were subsequently corrected. No effect on the original problem.

I described attempting to run with the id "Administrator" above. It seemed to fail due to a security policy in effect. (see original post).

I assigned the HKLM to Everyone. No effect on the original problem.

Powercfg was able to restore the original power plan configuration. No effect on the original problem.

Also I've noted in Event Viewer an error "Event 7023, Service Control Manager" during startup. The general message text is:

The Power service terminated with the following error:

The system cannot find the file specified.

BTW, no filename is specified. 

Wednesday, September 20, 2017 2:22 AM
  • Did you try to start power service manually?

1. Click Start, type services, right click on Services item from the list, click “Run as administrator

2. Click on Power service and right click on it.

3. Click the " Start ".

Could you please use local built-in administrator account to modify power plans? Here are steps to enable built-in administrator account.

1. Open Command Prompt (as administrator).

2. Type

net user administrator /active:yes

3. You should see a message that the command completed successfully. Log out, and you'll see the Administrator account as a choice.

Friday, September 22, 2017 8:52 AM