none
DPM 2010 - disks are there, but showing as "Volume Missing" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks

Following a reboot today, all volumes on a Fujitsu Eternus array that we use for DPM are showing as "Volume missing" when we look at the Protection Groups. However, the GUI shows them all as healthy and present, Volume Manager shows them as there and Powershell similar.

Name                 Status                           NtDiskId       Total Capacity   Unallocated Space Type
    ----                 ------                           --------       --------------   ----------------- ----
    FUJITSU ETERNUS_D... Healthy                                 5              2048 GB               19 GB Dynamic
    FUJITSU ETERNUS_D... Healthy                                 3              2048 GB               39 GB Dynamic
    FUJITSU ETERNUS_D... Healthy                                 4              2048 GB              148 GB Dynamic
    FUJITSU ETERNUS_D... Healthy                                 2              2048 GB               70 GB Dynamic
    FUJITSU ETERNUS_D... Healthy                                11              2048 GB              327 GB Dynamic
    FUJITSU ETERNUS_D... Healthy                                 8              2048 GB               57 GB Dynamic
    FUJITSU ETERNUS_D... Healthy                                 1              2048 GB                0 GB Dynamic
    FUJITSU ETERNUS_D... Healthy                                 7              2048 GB               68 GB Dynamic
    FUJITSU ETERNUS_D... Healthy                                10              2048 GB              424 GB Dynamic
    FUJITSU ETERNUS_D... Healthy                                 9              2048 GB              510 GB Dynamic
    FUJITSU ETERNUS_D... Healthy                                 6              2048 GB               32 GB Dynamic
    FUJITSU ETERNUS_D... Healthy                                12              2048 GB              308 GB Dynamic
    FUJITSU ETERNUS_D... Healthy                                13              2048 GB              314 GB Dynamic
    FUJITSU ETERNUS_D... Healthy                                14              2048 GB              523 GB Dynamic

What's happened, what's going on ?

edit: should add that I compared disk GUIDs with "disk detail" in diskpart, and their entries in the DPM database, and they're the same as expected. Also, a rescan in DPM shows the disks all there as healthy on the Disks tab, and "Volume missing" on the PG tab..

AW

• Edited by andreww Wednesday, February 1, 2012 6:20 PM
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 5:30 PM

All replies

• Hi AW,

Can you check the system event log for volsnap errors and report any back here? The volumes may be in an offline shadow copy protection state.

Thanks,

Marc

Wednesday, February 1, 2012 8:42 PM
  • Hi Marc

I saw some volsnap errors yesterday and was trying to find articles to resolve them in case it was related.

System/volsnap, eventid 91

Volume \\?\Volume{43e89c48-46f0-11e1-adb8-00262d088c23} is offline for shadow
    copy protection. An error occurred when doing a file system operation.
    Please try clearing the protection fault or restart the computer.
    If all else fails, revert out of shadow copy protection mode to reclaim the use of the
    volume while losing the shadow copies.

Didn't get anywhere before I went home on that one tho.

I rebooted multiple times, but am wondering if in fact I perhaps hadn't let it completely settle down before trying my next reboot? Worryingly, at one point, post-reboot I went into disk manager and it told me that it had two unrecognised disks on the SAN that required initialisation. Naturally, I declined. Anyway, I rebooted it again after that scare, came in this morning and all is fine.

So, what happened? What's the fix for the volsnap error, and how did this cause me such a headache ? How do I tie-up the above Volume ID to an actual volume ?

A

Thursday, February 2, 2012 10:54 AM
  • Hi,

After the reboot the problem went away? No more volsnap issues either? You can use mountvol to find the Volume ID in the event and match it to an actual volume.

Thanks,

Marc

Friday, February 3, 2012 9:30 PM
  • Sorry for delay in replying, Marc.

Yes, the reboot appeared to fix it. No more volsnap issues.

Any ideas what caused it then?

AW

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 2:56 PM
  • Andrew,

Have the Volume Missing messages come back? Or have they disappeared forever for you? I'm working a case with Microsoft Support on a very similar issue.

Jeffrey S. Patton Assistant Director of IT School of Engineering Computing Services University of Kansas 1520 West 15th Street Lawrence, KS. 66045-7621 | http://patton-tech.com

Monday, April 23, 2012 6:44 PM
  • Hi Jeffrey

Yes, they all came back, as above. DPM sure knows how to induce a panic at times, huh !? ;-)

A

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 8:39 AM