none
[SOLVED] BCDEDIT Backup of Boot Configuration Database (BCD) Storage Fails: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi there,

I am trying to backup my current BCD database, but bcdedit doesn't allow me to.

C:\Windows\system32>bcdedit /export D:\TEMP\BCD
    The store export operation has failed.
    The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

What file cannot be accessed? It is one of the BCD files, or is it the destination?

The bcdedit help is sort of uninformative.

C:\Windows\system32>bcdedit /export /?

bcdedit /export <filename>

This command exports the contents of the system store into a file.  This file
    can be used later to restore the state of the system store.  This command is
    only valid for the system store.

<filename>          The filename to be used as the destination for the export.
                        If the filename contains spaces, it must be enclosed in
                        quotation marks ("").

Example:

The following command exports the system store to the specified file:

bcdedit /export "C:\Data\BCD Backup"

The BCD in my path (D:\TEMP\BCD) is the name that will be given to the set of BCD files:

• <filename>
    • <filename>.LOG
    • <filename>.LOG1
    • <filename>.LOG2

So to avoid the error for the example above one must run the following command:

bcdedit /export D:\TEMP\BCD\BCD

In this case, bcdedit will export BCD files under the path D:\TEMP\BCD\ and all the files of the exported set will be give the name of BCD.

Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 3:19 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for sharing. We really appreciate your time and efforts. Hope your experience will help other community members facing similar problems. 

Regards,

D. Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 31, 2015 4:09 AM
  • Thanks for sharing.

You can make a Technet Wiki article on this for better sharing and reference purpose.

Balaji Kundalam

Thursday, December 31, 2015 5:14 AM