none
Turning notifications on gradually (eg by Group) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello clever people,

We have recently deployed Project Server 2010 and decided not to configure notifications on day one. This was to give Project Managers time to get used to uploading their plans, publishing their plans and using the enterprise resource pool before switching everything on. 

I would like to turn notifications on using a phased approach - either by batches of resources, or by project. I want to avoid a 'big bang' if possible to avoid getting swamped with questions and issues.

I would also like to configure the settings for Task Reminders so that everyone has (eg) task reminders set for 5 days prior to tasks starting. 

Are either of these things possible? 

I assume I can implement a phased approach by removing resource email addresses, turning notification on, and then adding the email addresses back to the resources in batches, but it seems cumbersome and will not solve the configuration of reminders issue.

Your thoughts are welcome and appreciated,

John

Monday, December 2, 2013 11:48 AM

Answers

• its_john_mac --

There is no way to use security Groups to turn on Notifications and Reminders gradually.  It is an all or nothing proposition for all users.  Furthermore, I do not believe it would be a good use of your time to be deleting and adding e-mail addresses for users.  That would be way too much work.

Instead, I would recommend you use a training and performance approach.  Train your people what the notification and reminder e-mails mean, and then teach them how to set up their own subscriptions.  And then go live with this feature for everyone.

Regarding a way to set Reminders for everyone as a batch, there is no default method to do this in Project Server 2010.  However, you can use a SQL Server hack to do this. Refer to the following FAQ for the steps to do this:

http://www.projectserverexperts.com/ProjectServerFAQKnowledgeBase/SetDefaultEmailSubscriptions.aspx

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by _John McIntyre Tuesday, December 10, 2013 9:33 AM
    Monday, December 2, 2013 3:17 PM