Error occurred during Storage enumeration. Operation is not Supported cluster Migration 2012 r2 to 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

I'm trying to perform and online rolling upgrade of my Hyper-V cluster from 2012 r2 to 2016.The process seems to work fine and the 2016 server joins the cluster and comes online.

However the issues start when I pause the 2016 node it fails to come back online.

When I check in server manager under disks I get the error the requested operation is not supported. And it only lists the 2012 R2 nodes.

what is odd is if I open server manager on one of the 2012 R2 nodes everything is fine.

Is there some kind of version issue when pausing node that will be resolved once all the nodes are 2016?

Regards,

Ben   

Tuesday, February 13, 2018 3:12 PM

All replies

• Hi RawlinsonJSY,

>However the issues start when I pause the 2016 node it fails to come back online.

What is the error message do you get when you unable to bring the node online? Do you perform the operation on the Server 2016 node?

Do you upgrade all the nodes to Server 2016 and upgrade the cluster level, could you online the Server 2016 when upgrade the cluster level?

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 5:59 AM
  • Hi Anne,

Thanks for your reply.

I only get the error "Error occurred during Storage enumeration. Operation is not Supported" in server manager after I have joined the server to the cluster. Everything appears fine, the 2016 node has a status of up and it can take roles fine.

The issue is if I pause the node It wont resume - Unknown error.

I believe this is related to the storage enumeration error above.

I've been using System Centre Virtual Machine Manager 2016 to perform the node join.

Regards,

Ben  

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 9:00 AM
  • Just to update.

This issues is now resolved you need to:

1. Join node to cluster using SCVMM2016 or another 2016 node. (for the first 2016 node use the latest version of the failover cluster management tools from RSAT).

2. Once the upgrade is complete i.e. all servers in the cluster are now 2016. Upgrade the cluster functional level via SCVMM or PowerShell.

Once the cluster is fully upgraded the error "Error occurred during Storage enumeration. Operation is not Supported" in Server manager, Disks no longer happens.

Regards,

Ben

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 1:33 PM