New to Forefront and need an advice RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi everyone!

I am thinking to try out the Forefront Client Security or Server Security management Console(thanks to MSDNAA we get it for free). I and my dad run separated home companies thus we run several desktops at home which is packed with sensitive data, which we both paranoid to protect, thus I have some questions about it.

I tried to look on the official page and forums, but still have some questions un-answered.

So question number one:

Should I use just Client Security or Server Security Management Console or both at the same time? What would be best to provide security for 5 Desktops with Vista Ultimate & Business editions?

Second:

Can I run it together with my current security (Norton 360 and McAfee Security Center) or should I remove them?

And last one:

How good is it? Does it worth even installing or current security is good enough?

It would be great if you will be able to provide detailed answers to this questions.

Thank you.

• Edited by Klimy Sunday, June 29, 2008 2:50 PM spelling
    Sunday, June 29, 2008 2:48 PM

All replies

• Hi,

To start off, let's separate client security and server security. Foerfront Client Security is the file level anti-virus to be installed on client and server OS.  Forefront Server Security is targeting specific applications like Exchange or sharepoint servers.
    To protect your desktops and possible server(s) from malware you should install Forefront Client Security and depending on what you feel is necessary you can install the Forefront client security server console for centralized management and reporting this nmight be overkill for such few clients but if you get if for "free" and your clients are geographically spread out you might find it usefull.
    (it requires a separate server)
    If you want to run the Forefront client security client without the console you have to run the clientsetup.exe with the "/nomom" switch.

as for the second question i would defenitly not recommend running  FCS with any othe AV installed...so uninstall any other AV before installing FCS.

and lastly...Forefront Client Security is definitly playing at the top of league. and as for detection capabillity is better or as good as the top AV vendors like symantec, mcafee, trend etc.

hope this helps

/Johan
    MCSE, forefront spec | www.msforefront.com
    Monday, June 30, 2008 8:06 AM
  •  

Thank you very much, now it makes all clear to me.

Like...yeah..something like this...
    Monday, June 30, 2008 8:49 AM